Monday, August 20, 2012

Choosing between workouts and house work...


Saturday, August 18, 2012
Friday’s workout and activity had kind of bushwhacked me.  I was trying to figure out my Saturday schedule, feeling the fatigue of the previous day.  Jason had asked me to attend his rugby match in the Metropark that afternoon, and I was thinking of how to fit in painting more windows, picking up Savannah’s Jeep from Dan and getting in a workout around that.  My first thought was to postpone working out for painting.  Then I got ‘right’ in my head and corrected my priorities, changing into my biking gear.  Besides, Holly had gone to Akron with Savannah and Theresa to see Heidi and would be there all day.  If I did a long workout and just SAID I’d been painting windows, how would she know?  She sure as hell wouldn’t be climbing ladders or getting on the roof to check my progress. 

I rode the Waite Hill course for the first time since returning ‘The Rocket’ to John.  I wasn’t expecting much since I was now on the heavier Trek and my riding conditioning had been steadily declining over the past several weeks.  Surprisingly, I rode well and was pleased with a time that was only two minutes slower than my best ever, particularly considering the return of quad cramps I’d managed to put behind me when riding every day. 

I drove to the park to see the rugby match, but made sure I had my running gear.  I was feeling pretty good about the ride and thinking this would provide the perfect chance for a double.  After watching guys without pads run into each other for over an hour and seeing Jason make some bone-crushing tackles, I headed up the park road to my favorite trail for a short run.  I’m keeping my wits about me and only went for 20 minutes, but with every intention of stopping by the bleachers on the way home for some more stair climbing.  I thought I’d do ten this time, but once I’d reached that number and wasn’t ready to collapse, decided to do two more.  The whole sequence took about 10 minutes, but was rather exhausting.

Holly arrived home shortly after me and inquired about my day and wondered if I’d like to do a hike in the park.

“Well…I’ve gotten lots done and wanted to do some more painting (I failed to mention that the ‘more’ would have been in addition to what I’d done the day before…not really lying), but I’d be happy to join you,” I said.  After all, I was doing a good deed…helping her with her training program.

Run/Bleacher Duration: 30 minutes.  Bike Duration: 1 hour and 45 minutes.  Hike Duration: 60 minutes.
Training Heart Rate: 145 running, 120 biking, and 80 hiking.
Calories burned during workout: 550 running, 1450 biking and 300 hiking.

No comments:

Post a Comment