Monday, August 13, 2012

Heading to the North Country

Thursday, August 9, 2012

My family moves quickly on funerals.  Donnie called Wednesday night to tell me that the wake was on Thursday and the funeral on Friday.  If I was going to make the wake, I’d have to get on the road early Thursday afternoon and drive like hell…which I do pretty well.

I worked the morning and made it home around 1 p.m.  I had a smoothie and packed some turkey sandwiches for the drive north.  Holly had made some ‘Grandma Paula’ chocolate chip cookies…a good thing since I couldn’t work out and needed as many hollow calories as I could possibly eat.

I reached the funeral home a little after eight and quickly fell to greeting the many relatives present.  From there, I went to the uncle with whom I’d be spending the night…in his back yard in my tent if I had my way.  I arrived there and didn’t have my way since my aunt had made up the extra bedroom and was pretty insistent I sleep inside.  It was raining and since there were no stars to enjoy, I agreed.  They’d purchased a Vitamix after I’d introduced them to my smoothie recipe last year and already had one waiting for me when I arrived.  My uncle was so proud of how it not only made smoothies, but soups as well. 

“Its $400 Johnnie, but worth it,” he said.

I suppose so…but a little out of my league.  Besides, if I owned it and Jack were to drop it, I’d probably have to kill him, and I couldn’t afford that.

No comments:

Post a Comment