Tuesday, August 12, 2014

Aborted kayak run...

Monday, August 11, 2014
Since I knew I was heading for the Adirondacks Wednesday, I contacted my good friend and Adirondack climbing partner, John, to see if he wanted to join me.
“Things are kind of crazy with the new house, the job and stuff like that,” he said.
“I completely understand.  And if something happens to me in the back country…you know, another kidney stone or something…I don’t want you feeling guilty that you didn’t come along to keep an eye on me,” I said. 
I also mentioned I’d put our conversation in the blog so everyone would know and he could feel complete guilt. 
Actually, I’ve never felt better.  I’m drinking lots of water and am pain free.  I plan to camp in areas close to civilization so I don’t have far to go if something should go wrong and I plan to climb some well-traveled trails instead of the unmarked ones where I could easily go all day and not see another person.  This is more a trip to have peace and serenity.  I’ll take a book and a journal so I can read and write.  It may rain, so I could be stuck in a tent with black flies hovering outside the bug net barrier just wishing they could take a shot at me.  My cousin Donnie will try to join me on Friday on Cranberry Lake where we will once again try to explore the lake without incident.  We’re 0 for 2 on that score, but hopeful.
Marie Lorentz stopped for a visit.  I’d coached her incredible high school running career, which ended with a 6th place finish at the state meet three years earlier.  We were hoping to catch up while paddling kayaks on the Upper Cuyahoga River, but the weather conspired to keep us from it.  Instead, I made her a killer smoothie and we discussed health, careers, and the value of family and good friends.  It is such a pleasure for me to have had enough of an impact on young runners that they seek me out when home from college for a visit.  She is a special one.

I had some leftover beef stew after she left, so heavy on the calories and no workout.  I’m hoping for a short run and a Survival Workout tomorrow.  I’d thought about some hiking with a backpack before the trip, but at this point it matters little.

No comments:

Post a Comment