Monday, August 4, 2014

Back to the boat...

Friday, August 1, 2014

Nathan had been working solo on the boat since he’d returned from his last stint.  I felt guilty about this, but there had been little I could do about it.  I had told him that I’d try to do some work on Friday though, and so he picked me up early and we headed for the Marina.
It was all about sanding the hull.  Dirty, time-consuming, tedious labor, but it simply had to be done if we were to put a fresh coat of paint on the hull and put it in the water before the end of the boating season. 
I grabbed my orbital, hand sander and went to work smoothing areas where Nathan had applied resin to fill holes and to smooth other areas where paint had chipped from the hull.  We stayed at if for about four hours and reached a point where, with the exception of spots he’d needed to reapply resin, we were ready to paint.  My back and arms were sore and I’d been going to the bathroom every 45 minutes, but I felt good about finally making another contribution to the boat restoration.  Though we had much to do above, Nathan was quite confident we could put it in the water at this point and it would float.  I’d decided that even if he was right, I’d watch that experiment from the shore.


The countdown to the arrival of Savannah’s puppy had been going on for over six weeks.  A friend from the Columbus area had posted puppy pictures when they’d discovered the dog they’d adopted from the Humane Society was ‘with puppies’.  The owner was driving the puppies to their new homes and would be arriving in Highland Heights with Savannah’s around 9 p.m.  She arrived on time and the family, including Dakota, began the adjustment.  I love puppies and have raised several in my years and was looking forward to helping Savannah with her first.  Dakota, on the other hand, was less than thrilled.

No comments:

Post a Comment