Monday, August 11, 2014

An early morning ride...

Sunday, August 10, 2014
I was awake by 7 a.m. and thinking I had ample time before church to get in some exercise.  My first thought was to head for the park with the dogs and do a Survival Workout, but then considered that in four days, I could be back in the Adirondacks hiking some rigorous trail.  I needed more conditioning without a doubt.  I changed into my cycling gear and headed for Waite Hill.
Riding early mornings on the weekend is so pleasurable.  The air still has the taste and smell of morning dew.  The roads are mostly clear; no one driving much before the churching hour.  I managed to ride the first seven miles with hardly a car passing me.  I could actually feel the air on my arms as I sped down a hill, it was so heavy with moisture.
I rode with vigor, pushing up hills wherever the opportunity presented itself.  Riding is not hiking, but the cardio requirements and the extra work on the thighs and calves serves a hiker well.  I had a plan to do a 15-mile hike on Thursday, which would include a 3,000 foot elevation change.  From what I’d read, the trail was challenging and offered little opportunity to get water.  I would have to be carrying several liters, particularly since dehydration did some pretty nasty things to me.
I finished the ride feeling strong once again.  Savannah was headed to the park to take the dogs for a hike, so I joined them.  Once back home, I had some meal preparation for Sunday family dinner.  My father-in-law was bringing over city chicken, but had asked me to prepare some potatoes.  I decided on home fries, Grandma Paula style, which meant very fatty.  I fried eight strips of bacon and then dumped the cubed potatoes into the pan.  I spread some butter over the top of them and crumbled in the bacon I’d cooked.  When Jack sat down and too his first fork full, a smile crossed his face.
“Dad…these are REALLY good,” he said.  He’s trying to eat healthier…between cartons of ice cream…so I didn’t tell him how I’d made them. 
I think I’ve discovered that to be a reasonably good cook, simply add bacon and butter.
Bike Workout: One hour and 50 minutes. 
Training Heart Rate: 120 bpm biking.

Calories Burned: 1540.

No comments:

Post a Comment