Monday, August 4, 2014

Copper...

Saturday, August 2, 2014

Jason had gone out of town and I’d committed to taking care of his two dogs and Theresa’s cat during their absence.  I arrived early enough to let them out, feed them, give them a little time to exercise and still get to Mimi’s by 8:30 a.m.
I arrived at Mimi’s to find that she had garage cleaning in mind.  This is one of my favorite activities at my own house and it proved almost equally as rewarding at hers.  I love getting rid of junk that never gets used and only serves to clutter.  I also like tackling insurmountable obstacles, like the spider webs and bug poop throughout her garage, and being able to stand back when all is done to admire an amazing difference, which after three hours is just what we did.
I was feeling a constant nagging discomfort in my bladder throughout the morning, which seemed to be getting worse with each passing day.  It was far from the pain that had put me in the hospital and hardly worth mentioning, but things weren’t right down there and I knew it.  I decided to cut my normal Saturday workload short and headed for home.
Copper, Savannah’s new puppy and named for her favorite stuffed animal which was supposed to resemble Copper from the Disney movie 'Fox and the Hound', was in puppy form and in need of constant attention.  She’d slept some of the previous evening, but her whimpering had kept Savannah, me, Dakota, and Jack from getting much sleep.  Dakota was chasing the tennis ball as I walked into the back yard with Copper trying to keep pace for about ten steps.
“I’m trying to wear her out so maybe she’ll sleep tonight,” Savannah said.
“Good luck with that.  I think we’ll be spending a few more sleepless nights before she completely settles in,” I said.

She would just have to let her whimper one night and not respond to it.  Puppies, like children, learn quickly what gets results and if it was whimpering incessantly, then she’d whimper.  I returned to Jason’s place to care for his animals and spent several hours there keeping them company before returning home to relieve Savannah so she could go for a run and get a shower.  Copper was actually doing quite well and would walk all around the neighborhood with Dakota and me without straying.  In fact, she would walk almost directly underfoot in an effort not to get left behind.  Dakota was a well-trained canine and it was our hope she would share all those wonderful characteristics with this new puppy.

No comments:

Post a Comment