Wednesday, December 1, 2010

A change of pace...

Sunday, November 28, 2010

I’ve been in a bit of a rut with my workouts for a while. I just can’t seem to get excited about doing anything. This happens when I’ve nothing left to train for…typically the winter months. Days are shorter and colder which cramps my riding, injuries are piling up which cramps my running, kayaking if a fading memory…and calories are everywhere. I needed to shake it up some.

I went to the high school and headed for what I suspect was the culprit in my summer stress fracture…the bleachers with a backpack. My plan was different, though. Moderation, I figured, was the key. I’d do fewer repeats with less weight and running. I strapped on 30 pounds and entered the stadium.

I completed 10 trips up and down taking steps two at a time, but just at a steady walk pace…no attempt to run up. The heart rate was over 150 and I was into a great sweat as I headed for the track and a mile jog without the pack. This seemed extremely difficult as the legs were not even close to recovered from the bleacher work. I was still thinking about the achilles and trying to go easy on the running, but I had felt it even when climbing the bleachers. Still I reasoned that I had to do something and would just have to deal with a little pain. I put the pack back on and did another 7 flights in the bleachers before walking to the car. I was planning on hopping on the trainer upon my return home and riding enough time to make the entire workout at least an hour. The Browns were playing and would offer a distraction…or make me want to puke…depending on how they were playing. The bleachers and run had taken 33 minutes, so that meant only half an hour on the trainer. Quite manageable.

I was fortunate enough to catch the first half of the game, which featured Peyton Hillis pounding the ball into the end zone three times for touchdowns. By half time, I’d completed enough time to fill my hour workout, so I turned off the game and got ready for Marie’s arrival. We were getting together to plan her winter workout schedule, which would include running some indoor meets in preparation for the indoor state meet in mid-March. I felt that she needed to have some good times and speed work under her belt by the beginning of the outdoor season if she was to have a legitimate shot at the state championship in the 1,600 meter race…her objective. She would need to run 4:50 or faster for that distance though I had some ideas about it turning into a tactical race. If that happened, I assured her that no one in the state could stay with her over the last 200 meters. She smiled…she knew I was right.

We planned the workouts to get her race ready for the indoor meets that began in late January. It would include long runs for strength, blasters and 1,000’s for speed and the ability to hold a difficult pace, and bleachers and Back to Basics workouts to enhance the power of her lethal kick. Prepare the body…and then the mind. Can’t win the big one without both. She’d have it together when it counted most.

The smell of turkey stew was making me drool while we worked and, for the first time since the holidays began, I had seconds during a meal…it was too good to stop. I probably should have ridden for two hours…the way I was eating…but I still would have taken in more than I’d burned. It’s an ugly pattern…but it’s turkey. I’m powerless for now. In the coming week, I’ll have fruit for breakfast…passing up a date with Tony…which should help get me back in balance. The real key is getting entirely healthy for running. It’s still my best defense against excess calories.

Bleacher/run duration: 30 minutes. Bike duration: 33 minutes.
Training Heart Rate: 120-150 bpm.
Calories burned during workout: 1,000.

No comments:

Post a Comment