Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Horse trading for the tree...

Sunday, December 19/ 2010

It’s the holidays and every day is hectic…you know what I’m talking about. Anyway, I again started the morning on the trainer. I only had time for a 40-minute ride before church…so that’s what I did. I’d like to say I then went to church…and I kind of did…but not so much.

I took Jack there because he’s the babysitter and then Dakota and I went for a hike in the Metropark, which borders the church property. I know it’s not the same as being in the building, but I truly do find as much peace and serenity in the woods as I do in the church and I actually contemplated things affecting my spiritual side while walking. Since I’m often taking my pulse during the rote parts of the service…well…maybe the walk was better for my soul. I don’t know.

My father-in-law brought Jack home from church and we went together to the hospital again. As I did yesterday, I parked the car, entered the building and took the steps to the 8th floor. I looked up through the stairwell to determine how much further I could go and almost walked to the top, but decided against it. Maybe tomorrow. Turns out its 14 stories, which would take about 4 minutes altogether and would be an very intense workout. If I worked here, I could strap on a pack and do sets when getting ready for the Adirondacks. Maybe I’ll come and visit someone next summer when I’m getting ready for a backpacking trip.

It was a good thing I did the steps, hike, and bike. We were celebrating Jason’s birthday…he’s a Christmas Eve baby…and flat dumplings were on the menu. I ate conservatively, but later had an eggnog milkshake and a piece of pie. Whatever calories I’d burned off earlier, I put right back on…with a couple extra for good measure. I suppose I should be happy that I haven’t gained ten pounds since Thanksgiving…which is what I usually do this time of year.

We did manage to get the tree. I’m a ‘real tree’ kind of guy and I also like to get the best deal possible…which means Scotch Pine and holes in the side that faces the wall. They had the Frazier’s in the $75 range, which, for a guy who won’t pay for parking is beyond comprehension. I’ve been to this lot many times before and they know me…so when I pulled in, the attendants drew straws for who’d have the honor of helping us…

“I’m looking for a deal,” I said as soon as he walked up. “You able to do some horse trading or do I need someone else.”

He looked at me with some trepidation, but said he could deal…and deal we did. The girls…a little embarrassed, but used to my tactics…picked out a great tree. When they saw the price was $30, Heidi commented, “it’s such a great price that we don’t even need a discount.”

Horrified those words had come from an offspring of mine, I looked from her to the attendant. He saw something primal he didn’t like and said, “no…no…I’m thinking I can knock $5 off this here tree. Yeah…there’s kind of a hole here and…yeah…don’t worry…”

He went inside and did his thing…knocking five bucks off and throwing in the $1 bagging for free. I tipped him the five he’d saved me and went home a happy shopper.

Bike duration: 40 minutes. Hike duration: 60 minutes
Training Heart Rate: 130 biking. 70 hiking.
Calories burned during workout: 600 biking. 350 hiking.

No comments:

Post a Comment