Thursday, December 16, 2010

Cliff Lee says 'no' to the Yankees...

Tuesday, December 14, 2010

So…the Yankees offered the 2008 Cy Young award winner and former Cleveland Indian, Cliff Lee and 7-year, $150 million contract. The Yankees have the money, the name, the dynasty and they pretty much get whatever they want on the free agent market…to the disgust of most of the rest of he baseball world…me included. They already had our other Cy Young guy, C.C. Sabathia, which would make for quite a pitching staff. Damn the rich folk.

But…Cliff said ‘no’ to the big, bad Yanks and instead signed with the Phillies for $120 million over five years. TV and newspapers report that Lee walked away from over $30 million to play in Philadelphia, admiring his will to leave the big dollars behind for a better playing and living environment…or something like that.

And at first, it sounds logical…but let’s do the math for just a second before we get too crazy. The Yankees offer amounted to $21.4 million dollars a season. The Phillies, on the other hand, have agreed to pay Cliff $24 million per year. That’s right…about $2.6 million more than the Yankees. Oh...I know the Yankees agreed to seven years so the contract is actually worth more in total, but as far as Lee is concerned, he could reach the end of his five year deal with he Phils and sign another contract, like the 38-year old Mariano Rivera just did, for…who knows…$30 million an year. In the end, he’s got nothing to lose. I mean…if he plays only the five years and blows out an elbow or just gets old and loses his good stuff, he’ll still have made $120 million and I don’t think he’ll have any trouble suffering through the retirement years. Let’s face it…how much does your life change if you’re earning $120 million verses $150 million? Not a whole hell of a lot, I’m guessing. Bottom line? I’m thrilled for Cliff and the fact that he’s not going to the Yankees, but I don’t think for a second he’s left any money on the table. He’s a smart, talented guy. In the end, he’ll maximize his dollars and not play for the Evil Empire.

I discovered that I could plug a DVD into my laptop and watch an episode of ‘Lost’ in my office while sitting on the trainer. That means I no longer have to schlep the bike on the trainer from my office to the family room and back again after having ridden. I can’t leave it in the family room between rides because Holly’s kind of funny about having furniture and not bicycles in there. I kind of get it…I do sweat and stink and make a mess where I’m riding. Anyway, now I can just leave the whole setup in place and be ready to ride whenever I want to without inconveniencing anyone. I suspect I’ll get in more rides this way…and that’s a good thing.

Bike duration: 60 minutes
Training Heart Rate: 130
Calories burned during workout: 900

No comments:

Post a Comment