Wednesday, December 29, 2010

How do women do it?

Thursday, December 23, 2010

I was having a pretty good eating day. I’d started out with a double order of hot cereal – oat bran. I’ve found that I always have to move to the column for ‘two servings’ when preparing any kind of hot cereal since the ‘one serving’ couldn’t fill a 3-year old. For lunch, I ate a couple of apples and since Holly wasn’t around at dinner time, I made a couple of PBJ’s. Then Ash showed up with a present from Ollie’s grandmother. I opened it to find home made buckeyes. That’s right…peanut butter and chocolate. Is there anything better…or harder to resist? I didn’t try the ‘resisting’ thing and dug in immediately before I got a pang of conscience and decided against it. It was great and so I figured I’d do Holly and the rest of the family a favor and eat up all those hollow calories before they even knew they existed. I stopped after five…they were pretty rich.

I’m so glad I’m not Holly. I suppose she’s not unlike a lot of wives around the holidays…and I’m probably the typical guy. I don’t do much in preparation for Christmas because…well…she does it all and I’m not stopping her. She buys most of the presents for the kids, wraps them all, makes all the food, decorates the house and continues with her normal chores, as well. She also does her dad and Jason’s birthday celebrations, makes food for all the parties we attend, does the baking and cooking we all expect for our Christmas. This year, she added numerous trips to the hospital and rehab center to be with her mom as she struggled with a broken hip. Tomorrow was Christmas Eve and there were still too many things to do so she elected to try and finish them by pulling an all-nighter. I am seriously thrilled that I’m a guy and could sleep through all this activity…with little or no guilt.

I did manage to do my one job. I rode another 60 minutes while watching another episode of ‘Lost’. I think the buckeyes may have put me in the plus-calorie column for the day, but not by much. I really think the only way for me to stay ahead of consumption at this time of year is with two-a-day work outs. It’s hard though, because I’m SOOOOO busy…

Bike duration: 60 minutes
Training Heart Rate: 130
Calories burned during workout: 900

No comments:

Post a Comment