Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Back to running on the Survival Workout

Tuesday, August 09, 2011

Jack and I were taking Savannah to the Indians game and we wanted to see the opening pitch, so I had to move fast to get in my Survival Workout. My knee had been feeling so good that I felt it was time to try running between stations, which would stress the knee in a way to help get it ready for the

Adirondacks and get the workout over faster. I did my first four sets where I park the car and then started at a trot down the bridle trail. I’ve done this before, but never after four sets of upper body exercises, which tend to pool large amounts of blood in the muscles of the upper body. As I began to run, I noticed this blood pooling…my upper body feeling strangely heavy and my lower body wondering where the blood was it needed to keep oxygen coming to the leg muscles. It arrived about the time I stopped to do my next three sets and this pattern continued throughout the workout, making all the running quite labored. The good news…I got the workout done in 45 minutes and was headed home in time to catch a shower, grab some food and head for the game.

This was the second time Savannah and I have gone to a game with Jack and both times it has rained cats and dogs. Clearly, he’s a jinx. We left after two innings…a good decision since the delay lasted two hours and then the game went to 14 innings. We stopped at East Coast Custard on the way home and I had peach custard in a waffle cone. It was excellent and I’m eating a little junk…like the Postman suggested…but not so much that I undo the efforts of the Paleo Diet.

Survival Workout duration: 45 minutes.
Training Heart Rate: 100 to 150 bpm.
Calories burned during workout: 500


No comments:

Post a Comment