Sunday, August 21, 2011

A two-hour ride and 'On Golden Pond'

Friday, August 19, 2011
Holly and I love going to the movies and the Palace Theater in Playhouse Square, a magnificent structure originally constructed for vaudeville acts and later modified for picture shows, was airing ‘On Golden Pond’, a wonderful movie about aging, making changes and caring for loved ones starring Jane and Henry Fonda and Katharine Hepburn. It’s in my 10 ten movie list and I was anxious to see it on the big screen. First though…I had to get in a ride.

The way I figured, I needed to be rolling back in the driveway by 7 p.m. if we were to make it on time. That would leave me with 5 minutes to jump in the neighbor’s pool, change, grab some fruit to eat and be ready to go…which left me exactly two hours to ride and I intended to use every minute. The closer I get to my goals, the more intense I can get about my workouts. In a little over three weeks, I’ll begin some intensive climbing in the Adirondacks…and I’m only 10 pounds from where I’d really like to be again. Both things are motivating me to put more effort and diligence into my training and eating. I’m getting mental and I know it. Since Mimi had called to tell me she hadn’t gotten the wood chips for our next project, I was also planning a tough double for tomorrow to make up for lost yard work conditioning.

I figured out a way to extend my Waite Hill/Kirtland Hills ride to add 15 minutes more and cruised in the driveway exactly hours after starting. I hit the pool, made a smoothie and was in the car with minutes to spare. The movie struck emotional cords for both Holly and me…the sign of a great movie. Afterwards, we headed to Edgewater Park to walk the beach, but didn’t stay long as my poison ivy…which continues to spread and get worse…had me heading for home.

Bike workout: Two hours.
Training Heart Rate: 130 bpm.
Calories burned during workout: 1,800.

No comments:

Post a Comment