Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Goals & Objectives: Can't make it without them.

Monday, August 15, 2011
When I’d seen Mimi’s son Tim on Saturday, we got to talking about my conditioning program. He was interested in making a change in his life and was looking for a little professional guidance. Normally a smart move…but he was about to get his advice from me. I’d told him that I’d be happy to map out a strategy to get him started, but since he lived in Michigan, it would be harder to keep tabs on him. We agreed to meet on Monday and strategize.


I sat down with him and went over his injury history…which was all about a torn quadriceps that sounded really nasty. Like so many Americans in their 40’s, he’d spent a lot of time working, little time exercising and put plenty of effort into eating poorly. The combination had him way over the weight he wanted to be. I gave him my usual speech…because I believe it to my core. “I’ve found that anyone who really succeeds has an achievable goal…and it’s best when it’s something you intend to do at a particular time…like running a 5K on Thanksgiving. It gives you a date to be ready and the need to follow a routine to make it.” He knew what I was saying. He has a goal now, but lacked the objectives…the smaller steps necessary to achieve the goal. I wrote the smaller steps on a training schedule and handed it over to him. “We’ll meet in three weeks and I’ll give you that fitness test so you’ll have a baseline to work against. Then we’ll retest you whenever you’re in town,” I promised.

I know it works. Set a goal…and really, really mean it. Then…map out the strategy. Its not so difficult to do, but it may take the help of someone who knows how to do these things. I mean I can do some of the fix-it jobs around the house, but if I’ve got a serious plumbing, building, or electrical issue…I get a hold of a pro that I trust.

Speaking of which, Dan called to say the Jeep was ready. Since his bike was done, I hopped aboard for the ride to his place. It would be dark in an hour, so I had to take the direct route…quickly…which meant heading up the Wilson Mills hill I like to head down at 50-plus mph. I knew his gears were designed for speed and not climbing, but when I reached that hill, I found out just how right I was. I consider myself a strong climber, but this was ridiculous. On my bike, I’d have had at least one gear to spare and could have ridden the hill in the saddle. With his set up, I was out of the saddle for almost the entire hill (you can take tough hills better standing on the pedals instead of sitting on the seat) with thighs screaming for oxygen. I made it to the top, but barely, and labored the rest of the way to his house in Chardon. It was the most intense 50-minute ride I’ve had in a long time and I’m sure my heart rate was 10 beats higher than I normally ride. I pulled in his driveway as dark was settling in and told him he needed the new gearing asap. “Other than that, you’ve go no excuse not to ride with me,” I told him…and he agreed. “I’ve been thinking a lot about riding since we got this out of the attic. Thanks for getting me moving again,” he said and I know he meant it. His goal…ride to work in Beachwood. I warned him that I didn’t think he could take the hill until he got in better riding shape. “Oh yeah? I’ll take that as a challenge.” Just what I was hoping for.

Bike workout: 50 minutes.
Training Heart Rate: 140 bpm.
Calories burned during workout: 800.

No comments:

Post a Comment