Thursday, August 11, 2011

Perfect riding weather...

Wednesday, August 10, 2011

It was an absolutely perfect night for riding…or anything for that matter. The temperature was in the 70’s, the humidity was low and the chance of rain was low. I decided to go long…doing the 48-mile course John and I had ridden two weeks ago when he’d bonked. It was a challenging, hilly course and perfect for the endurance I was trying to build for the upcoming climbs in the Adirondacks. The days are getting shorter and I need to take advantage of evenings like this anyway.

I found a cycling shirt in the back of my car…don’t know where it came from and I’ve never worn one, always opting for your standard-issue t-shirt. I’ve always thought they looked a little too preppy or professional or something…and I’m neither of those things. John likes them and claims they wick the sweat better leaving him drier during rides. I know this, but with the way I sweat, no amount of wicking is sufficient to keep pace. Still…it was there and kind of clean…so I donned it.

After so many weeks of working out in sweltering conditions, the cool evening air had me feeling like I could ride forever and effortlessly. I cruised through the hills of Waite and Kirtland Hills and found myself on Auburn heading south about 10 minutes faster than John and I had done it two weeks earlier. Auburn’s a reasonably busy road and I stuck with it until I hit Rt. 87 before turning back west and heading for home. I somehow managed to ride long stretches of 87 without any passing cars…amazing for a state route but one of the great things about riding out east where they seem to have more horses than cars.

I completed the course about 15 minutes faster than my previous trip, confirming the ideal riding conditions and my lack of cramping. By now I was ravenous and pulled about a pound of salmon from the freezer to thaw while I showered. I baked it for 30 minutes and made a giant smoothie with a banana, blue berries, strawberries, an apple, yogurt and apple cider. I was delicious and I was stuffed.

I can see I’m going to have to make myself put on the pack and do some bleachers and hiking. This weather begs to be ridden in and I’ll opt for that every time. It’s great to get out for three hours of hard work while being able to enjoy the great landscape the eastern rural areas have to offer. The woods are good, too, and I need it. This weekend for sure.

Bike workout: Two hours and 45 minutes.
Training Heart Rate: 130 bpm.
Calories burned during workout: 2,400.

No comments:

Post a Comment