Sunday, March 18, 2012

Donnie's in town...

Wednesday, March 14, 2012
I gave John a call around noon.  He was scheduled for surgery at one and I knew how important it would be for him to hear my voice before going under.

“Just so we’re clear on this…I’ll grab your bike tonight if you don’t make it,” I said. 

“I put air in the tires and it’s ready to ride,” he confirmed.

And that’s what friends are really for.

I spoke to my cousin Donnie as he was driving through Rochester.  He was on schedule for a evening arrival…and joining me on the Survival Workout. 
“I’m going to kick your ass on that thing, and carry you back to the car,” he said.

Donnie eats well and hikes all the time with his two labs, but profuse sweating for exercise in not part of his routine.  He’s an avid reader of the blog and wanted to watch me do the Survival Workout so he could finally put images with my less than descriptive writing.  I’d decided ahead that I had to be impressive and set a pr in something…preferably the push-ups.

I had time for a ride before he arrived, but I’d have to push the pace…which can be difficult on a day following a long ride like yesterday’s.  I did well and was on record pace for my Waite Hill course over the first hour of riding, but cramping in the quads began shortly after that and I needed to cut back on the speed.  I still managed to equal the fastest time I’d ever ridden the course and know that without the cramping, I’d have shaved 3 minutes off of it.  My cycling is in great shape coming off the winter…thanks to the trainer and Netflix.

Shortly after Donnie arrived, we were in the car and driving to the park.  I went to work quickly, hooking my feet on the fence rail and knocking out 64 push-ups.  I found out just how religiously Donnie reads the blog when I told him the number at the conclusion.

“Nice job, John.  Broke your pr of 60,” he said…which I’d mentioned in my last article.

I did a slightly abbreviated workout just to give him the flavor so we’d have time to visit the marsh before darkness set in.  He was determined to join me in making another eagle spotting, but it just didn’t work out.  Like me though, he loves any opportunity to stand in the woods and just enjoy anything and everything nature throws your way. 

I called John later that evening.  He was a little groggy and couldn't talk because they'd moved his windpipe to do the surgery...but he'd survived and was doing well.  I'll have to keep riding his old bike until another opporutnity presents itself.

Survival Workout: 60 minutes.  Bike duration: One hour and 43 minutes.
Training Heart Rate: 100-150 for SW and 120 for the hike.
Calories burned:  600 for SW, 1450 for the bike.

No comments:

Post a Comment