Monday, March 19, 2012

Home from neck surgery...

Friday, March 16, 2012
I’m a bit of a traditionalist.  Having grown up in Willoughby, its hard not to know about a little diner in the downtown area called Kleifeld’s.  It’s nothing special…kind of a throwback to the 50’s with a counter and stools that spin to go along with the 8 or so tables packed closely behind.  The food is good, fast and inexpensive and Donnie and I go there because it’s the right thing to do.

I had a ham and cheese omelet with a double order of rye toast…and 5 cups of coffee.  We drove from there to visit with John, who was home convalescing from successful neck surgery.  Though barely able to talk…they move the windpipe to conduct the operation leaving the voice raspy and soft...a welcome change from the loud and obnoxious person he normally was…he welcomed our visit.   He knew Donnie from our climbing trips to the Adirondacks.  Donnie lived in Massena, a short drive to the Adirondacks, and had joined us on several occasions.

John explained the surgery and reiterated that he would be unable to do any training of any kind for at least 60 days, after which a visit with the surgeon would determine his next move. 

“You may as well take the bike.  I won’t be riding it anytime soon,” he rasped in reference to his very sleek, carbon fiber machine.

“I’ll sweat all over it, get it dirty and then you’ll whine like a little girl,” I said before leaving.

Later that evening, I went through a tough Survival Workout over extremely muddy trails.  The storm from the previous evening had left many flooded, but my shoes were so caked that it really didn’t matter.  I tried to do a little jogging between stations to test the calf, but found it to be painful in a matter of minutes.  Not good.  Holly joined me at the conclusion of the workout for a one-hour hike.

I was hoping for a longer workout to try and undo some of the damage I’d done to myself during Donnie’s stay.  I’ll be busy trying to accomplish that over the weekend, instead.

Survival Workout: 60 minutes.  Hike duration: One hour.
Training Heart Rate: 100-150 for SW and 80 for the hike.
Calories burned:  600 for SW, 300 for the hike.

No comments:

Post a Comment