Monday, March 26, 2012

Pizza and chocolate milkshakes...

Friday, March 23, 2012
I received a call from Teri, John’s wife that he was back in the ER at Hillcrest Hospital Friday morning.  He’d thrown up the night before and was passing blood that morning and his surgeon wanted him in right away…suspecting another stomach ulcer.  Once there, they slipped a scope down his throat…the same one he’d had surgery around last week…and saw that in fact he did have one but that it had clotted.  He was quite weak from blood loss, though and they began putting it back in an ICU bed.  I spent some time with him there in the afternoon before leaving to pick up his son and bring him over to visit him.  By the time I’d taken his son home and returned to my own, it was after dark making the scheduled Survival Workout impossible.  Savannah had been calling because she wanted to do it with her boyfriend who was visiting from Columbus. 

“We’ll get up early tomorrow and do it then,” I promised.

“What do you consider early on a Saturday morning?” she asked.

“It’s light about 7 a.m. so…7:30 a.m.?” I said, knowing that a.m. was going to be pushing it.

And things went downhill from there.  We were supposed to get a pizza from Jet’s and Holly asked me to pick up ice cream for milkshakes.  I make a killer chocolate shake and couldn’t resist drinking one with my half of a sausage pizza.  I remember a time when every Friday night was pizza and chocolate shakes, so I suppose once in a blue moon isn’t too awful…but the guilt had me thinking about going out and doing something.  Savannah suggested we watch ‘The Green Mile’ because Kyle had never seen it and the knowledge that I would be introducing him to one of the greatest movies ever made assuaged my guilt…and I did nothing but gain weight.

No comments:

Post a Comment