Friday, March 30, 2012

A short, pain-free run...

Tuesday, March 27, 2012
I’ve been doing my alternative push-ups for about four weeks now and was starting to wonder if they would have any impact on my ability to do the traditional style.  I decided to find out…knowing that I’d need to be near 100 if I was going to be happy about it.

I dropped and began, blasting past 60, 70 and 80 with no problem.  At 90, I started to struggle, but managed to eke out 100…but there was nothing left in the tank for one more.  I suppose I should have been happy.  I haven’t done push-up in that style for weeks, but could still reach the century mark.  I wasn’t though.  Since I could perform 80 with my legs propped on a fence rail and my body at a severe angle, I thought maybe I’d have done more.  Well…I’ll just return to the alternate form until I hit 100 of them.

As I walked to my next station, I played with the idea of running.  I’d ridden over four hours two days ago and my calf felt strong again.  I hadn’t had any pain in it for several days and I had to start at some point.  I decided five minutes of easy jogging would be a good test. 

As with everything I do, if a little is good…more is better.  I kept going and finally stopped after 10 minutes.  I really was quite pleased since this calf injury seemed more problematic than the ones I’ve suffered previously.  Maybe not.  I’ll give it a couple of days and try 15 minutes and maybe…just maybe…I can be ready in 3 weeks for the birthday triathlon.

Survival Workout: 60 minutes.  Run duration: 10 minutes.
Training Heart Rate: 100-150 for SW and 130 for run.
Calories burned:  600 for SW and 150 for run.

No comments:

Post a Comment