Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Perfect riding day

Sunday, March 11, 2012
I started the morning with a quick hike into the marsh hoping for a photo op with my eagle friends.  After spending about 10 minutes searching the tree tops and seeing nothing, I was forced to return and begin the rest of my day.  I know from experience that diligence will pay off, so I’ll keep visiting.

I had to pick up Heidi and drove to her place in Akron to find she wasn’t there.  I’d called her on the phone about 10 minutes earlier to tell her I was getting off the freeway and to expect me soon.  I rang her bell and called her again, but without success.  Finally she called and asked where I was.

“I’m sitting on the step in front of your door waiting for you to let me in,” I said.

“Why aren’t those animals barking?” she asked.

“Because you have a cat and a chinchilla and I’ve never heard either of them bark,” I replied.

And then she reminded me she wasn’t at her place...but at Jason’s where she’d been dog sitting...in Kent.

“Remember?  I told you a couple of weeks ago that I’d be dog sitting for Jason this weekend.”

Seriously?  She thought because she’d mentioned something to me two weeks ago in passing that I’d put that together with her request to pick her up I’d received the day before with no reference to her new location?  My computer doesn’t remember stuff for two weeks.  I’m happy when I remember to zip up my fly.

I made the extra drive, but realized it was cutting into riding time.  It was perfect weather for the bike...60’s, sunny and only a light wind.  Damn...I needed to get home.  I didn’t give her a hard time, but as soon as we arrived back in Highland Heights, I was out the door and on the bike. 

The ride was perfect and the weather could not have been better.  If the family wasn’t coming for dinner, I’d have ridden for three hours.  As it was, I had to settle for half that.  Holly was making pancakes and bacon for dinner...not exactly Paleo...so I made a giant smoothie after the ride and skipped the bacon. 

Somewhere in the middle of that day, I received a call from John that he was heading to the ER...again.

“Dude...seriously...don’t leave once you get there.  It’ll save you lots of time,” I said after he described the agony he was experiencing in the area of his rotator cuff.  He thought he might have fallen when he was suffering with the intestinal blockage the week before...but had been in such agony at the time that he didn’t remember falling.  I called him later to find that yes...it was likely torn...but to deal with it until the surgery for his neck scheduled for Wednesday.  I’m wondering if this guy is ever going to train with me again.  And John...Donnie is bringing you a bag of lollipops.

Bike Duration: One hour and 35 minutes.
Training Heart Rate: 120 bpm.
Calories burned during workout: 1330.

No comments:

Post a Comment