Monday, March 12, 2012

"I'm not angel...but I'm not a crook," Jimmy Dimora found guilty.

Saturday, March 10, 2012
Dimora Guilty!

As Gomer would say, “surprise…surprise…surprise.”  Except, maybe not.

I mean sure, everyone’s entitled to their day in court, but really Jimmy…did you think anyone was really going to buy that defense strategy?  Yeah…all those contractors, politicians, business people, and just plain folks were giving you gifts, picking up your dinner tabs, flying you to Vegas and getting you hookers because they liked you?  You were gambling a 20-plus sentence in the slammer that a jury of your peers was going to buy that story when you had 65 witnesses ready to testify what a totally corrupt MF’er you were?  And what a defense team you picked.  I mean…how does your attorney, in his closing argument to the jury say “I’m sure you’ll find my client guilty of all charges”…needing to be corrected by his co-counsel for his Freudian slip.  You picked them.

“I’m not angel, but I’m not a crook either.  I haven’t done anything that any other public official hasn’t done,” you were quoted as saying.  Well…you may be right but I’m hoping you’re wrong.  Convicted on 33 counts including racketeering.  You’ve cost this county’s tax payers a millions, tremendous embarrassment and the need to completely revamp the way the government is structured.  Congratulations…quite a legacy.

I started the run the way I’ve started everything lately…with a sore left calf.  It was okay for about 19 minutes, but then the pain started radiating…and I stopped running.  I walked for five minutes before beginning again…at a much slower rate.  I limp-ran back to the car and drove home for time on the trainer.  Even there it was giving me trouble and that means one week off running and a slow return. 

Later that afternoon Dakota and I made our way through soggy woods to the marsh.  We were standing close to the water, hidden amongst the cottontails when the immature eagle I spotted a week ago dove in front and away from me.  I managed a couple of pictures before the mother headed from a similar spot but in another direction.  I was lucky enough to capture her on film, as well.  I could see that both had only flown a short distance and found another perch where they could observe me and continue their hunt.  I hunkered down and waited, figuring I had about 30 minutes of light.  I used every minute of the sun’s last rays listening to a cacophony of red-winged black birds, geese, ducks and the scree of a large red tail hawk and waiting for another photo op…but it never came.  I could see the younger eagle 300 yards across the marsh on his perch, but he knew how badly I wanted a picture and wasn’t moving.  Dakota spooked a beaver during our wait…which spooked her and sent her scrambling back towards the woods.   I followed her out, but felt exhilarated over the time we’d spent watching and listening.

Run duration: 30 minutes.  Bike duration: 42 minutes.
Training Heart Rate: 130 running and 120 for the bike.
Calories burned:  500 running, 575 for the bike.

No comments:

Post a Comment