Friday, March 2, 2012

Trying to get back in the groove...


Triceps dips.  Shown here using the park 'road closing' gate, but I'll do them on picnic table benches, fallen trees,  large rocks, and split rail fences...to name a few.  This exercise targets the back of the upper arm, but incorporates shoulders, chest and back muscles, as well.

Thursday, March 1, 2012
I’ve been dreading my Survival Workout lately, which means I start to avoid it. Yesterday, I had a damn good reason. It was in the 60’s in February…and for any cyclist…that means ride. But now I had to get back to it. And really, the only reason I’ve been dreading it is that I’ve been slipping on my push-ups. Dumb, sure, but no one wants to go backwards…so I needed to do something about it.
I parked in the mud…I’m thinking it’s time the park recognized this as my designated spot and paved it and I may start collecting signatures on a petition…got out of the car, stretched and suited up.  I looked for the place on the earth that I consider my ‘lucky spot’...the one where I first did 100 push-ups…and dropped to the ground.  At 50, I knew I was feeling good and passed 90 before I started to slow.  I eked over 100 and collapsed at 103 for my second highest total ever.  I was back!

It’s funny how much of an impact a little success can bring…and it’s in the head.  I haven’t kept track, but so many times over the years I’ve had track athletes achieve multiple pr’s on the same day.  They go out and run one race in record time and are so pumped up that they seem to set fatigue aside and do it again…at a different distance .  The endorphins start crashing around inside your head…and the sky’s the limit.

I sauntered over to my log…one I use for my rows…bent over and pulled it up to my chest.  I’d normally peter out around 15 reps…but this day…20…and a pr.

I hit my first rock station and continued to pass old bests.  Ditto at the dip station.  By the time I reached the cabins for my second set of push-ups, I was psyched out of my mind and thinking I’d pop out another 100…when the endorphins went and deserted me and the reality of total body fatigue bit me in the ass.  I managed 80 on trembling arms and on my next rock lift, underachieved again.  I gathered some steam and finished the workout, but just above mediocrity.  It was like I was pitching a perfect game for 6 innings, when suddenly I got rocked for 10 runs in the seventh.  My good stuff was long gone.

Well…I had it for awhile and that’s okay.  I feel a little better about the workouts again and in two days I’ll return and hit 100 again.  Getting psyched helped…but consistency is the real key…and I’ve been inconsistent and paid the price.

Survival Workout: 60 minutes.
Training Heart Rate: 100-150.
Calories burned:  600.

No comments:

Post a Comment