Saturday, March 10, 2012

Keep the car in the garage...

Friday, March 9, 2012
My legs were still sore and I was debating taking a second day off, but it was so sunny and pretty in the park that I just had to do something. 

It was a Survival Workout day, but I knew I’d be doing no lower body activities, which mean ratchet up the upper body.  I started with my new style push-ups…feet hooked on top of a fence rail…and crushed my old pr by 11 by reaching 50.  I guess I’ll keep up this style until I hit 100, though that may take some time…something I hope I have in abundance.  I followed the push-ups with a set of dips and pull-ups, but I’m finding that my dip totals are way down since starting the new push-up.  Still…I’m going to exhaustion, which means I’m getting the full benefit to the muscle group regardless of the amount I can perform.

I went home after the workout thinking about getting on the trainer, but as is often the case, once I get home and get into the flow of what’s happening there, exercise is done.  Holly and I decided on pizza and a movie from Red Box, which is when the guilt of only doing the Survival Workout set in.

“How about we hold off on ordering that pizza right away,” I said.  “I’m going to walk up to Red Box to pick up the movie instead of driving and then hike over to the grocery store to get some more bananas.”

It’s only a mile and a half to the Walgreen where I pick up the movies and the grocery store is across the street.  It wasn’t strenuous walking…but it was better than driving the car and I needed something if I was going to eat that fatty pizza again.  I slung my daypack over my shoulder and started out the door to see how quickly I could make the round trip.

It took around 45 minutes to walk the three miles to and from my shopping destinations.  It felt pretty good to load my purchases into a daypack and walk out of the grocery store knowing that I was burning calories instead of fossil fuels.  I do it all the time…climb in my car for trips under two miles.  What a waste of an opportunity.  With the way Jack and I are going through smoothie ingredients, I need to make this a regular practice.  I’ve always known that regular trips to the fresh food sections of the grocery store would help me cut calories…but walking to get them cuts even more and does something good for me in the process.  I really need to practice what I preach…whenever I can.  It really adds up.

Survival Workout: 60 minutes.  Hike duration: 45 minutes.
Training Heart Rate: 100-150 for SW and 80 for the hike.
Calories burned:  600 for SW,  350 for the hike.

No comments:

Post a Comment