Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Another PR for 'The Rocket'

Friday, July 20, 2012

The wind was blowing out of the north and pushing me in the face over the first half of my bike ride.  I’d decided that my first day back after seeing the doc should be an easier one.  I needed to cut back on the mileage and how hard I worked when I did ride if I was to let the inflammation calm.  I was riding the Waite Hill course, one on which I had many checkpoints and always know how I’m doing.  I reached my first check point a couple of minutes behind, which I attributed to a fierce wind and an indifference to speed.  As I climbed up Eagle Road and turned on Sperry heading for my 1-hour mark, I felt I was moving pretty well.  When I crested the hill on Sperry and found I was there in 56 minutes, I knew I could break the course pr if I pushed the rest of the way home.  So I pushed.

Knowing you’re going to be going all out for 45 minutes tends to numb my mind.  It’s so much easier to just ride...but now I was pitting myself against the clock.  I charged up every incline, riding out of the saddle as I climbed.  When I reached the base of Wilson Mills Hill and had to climb from there back to Highland Heights, I knew my thighs would be screaming against the effort.  Well...Lance could handle it without whining.

I hit the final miles easily ahead of schedule, but wondering by just how much I’d crack my old pr.  I pulled in the driveway 6 minutes faster on a 32-mile course, which is about 6% faster than I’ve done it before.  Again, the credit goes to The Rocket.  The bike simply rocks and I’m along for the ride...so to speak.  After the ride, I headed down to the metropark for a short hike with Dakota.  We did some golf ball searching in the rough just off the open field at the bottom of Ox Lane and set a second pr for the day, finding 22 balls.  I now have a plastic, four-gallon milk crate brimming with golf balls.  I have no idea what I’m going to do with them, but I’ll keep adding until the golfers stop losing them.

Bike Duration: 2 hours.
Training Heart Rate: 120 bpm.
Calories burned during workout: 1700.

No comments:

Post a Comment