Saturday, July 14, 2012

New 1-hour PR...


Wednesday, July 11, 2012


“Window’s in.  Hop on that bike and come and get it,” Dan called to tell me.


It was around 6 p.m. and I knew I had plenty of time to get in a longer ride on my way to Chardon.  I was trying to decide what route I would take and whether to challenge myself or not.  I preach a ‘hard/easy’ philosopy to the people I coach, but sometimes lose track of that basic premise when it comes to my own training.  I’d been riding long and hard for the last seven days and by rights, I should be going easier.  That’s the theory anyway as I boarded The Rocket and rolled down the drive.


I headed out on my Pekin Road course.  It’s my favorite and the only one where I’ve established a one-hour time trial mark.  I’ve been riding the course for the last several years and continued to push the point I can reach in 60 minutes further out.  I normally move it in small increments…maybe 100 yards…something I’ve done twice this summer.  I decided I’d ride with that in mind and see where I was on earlier check points before committing totally to breaking it.  If my legs were feeling good…I’d push.


The first big test is Old Mill Road or what I like to call it…the Iron Lung.  I reach the bottom about 20 minutes into my ride and have a check-point about a quarter mile past the top at County Line Road and Cedar.  I like to be there under 30 minutes and on a good day will make it there somewhere between 29-30. 


I climbed the Lung well and checked my watch.  I was at the top in 23 minutes and reached Cedar in 27!  I was facing a headwind for more than half of the ride to my hour mark, but was feeling very strong at this point and decided to attack the course.


For me attacking means I get out of the saddle on every incline and try to power up and over the top.  Once there, I settle back to my cruising pace as quickly as I can.  I did this as I approached my old hour pr mark and could see I would be crushing it.  I arrived there in 56 minutes and pushed my new pr point out about a mile and a quarter…not bad for something I can usually move a hundred yards or less!
So again…equipment matters.  I know I’m getting stronger from all the riding but that doesn’t come close to explaining such a big improvement.  The Rocket gets the credit.


Bike Duration: 1 hour and 35 minutes.
Training Heart Rate: 120 bpm.
Calories burned during workout: 1300.

No comments:

Post a Comment