Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Taking it 'easy'

Saturday, July 21, 2012

The surgeon had suggested I cut back on the intensity and number of my rides and I was determined to cooperate.  I spent the first three weeks after the surgery riding my bike as far and as hard as I’d wanted and with no repercussions.  I’d thought I was completely cured...and then I tried running.  Since that day, I’ve had almost constant knee pain and although it’s not bad, if it could be better, I want it to be.  Since yesterday’s ride turned out to be a hard one, today’s needed to be easy.

I struggle with ‘easy’.  I coach all my athletes on the value of the hard/easy principle; allowing time for the body to recover and improve, but for some reason, I’ve never been able to practice what I preach.  Well...I must if I’m going to get healthy again.  I took the same course I’d ridden the day before, but didn’t look at my watch.  Not knowing how fast I was riding does wonders for keeping me from overdoing. 

I did know when I’d left, so when I arrived home 10 minutes slower than I had on the previous day, I knew I’d accomplished the task of riding easy.

The cortisone shot to the elbow was doing its job.  My pain was gone and once it is, it’s easy to do things I shouldn’t.  I’d gone to Home Depot to buy some lumber and while loading a 4x8 sheet of plywood onto my cart, was quickly reminded that things weren’t right.  I shifted the lift to my left arm and proceeded, but knew I’d have to be more careful.  As much as I like to sit and ice an injury, I’d forgotten the previous evening and would have to make a mental note to complete that, as well.

I really want to get better, but am easily my own worst enemy.  And I don’t always do it on purpose.  When you’re active all the time, it’s easy to forget. Not a good excuse, but I’m sticking to it.

Holly and I walked to Outback for dinner later that night.  It’s a little over a mile one way, but hardly offset the calories I consumed.  You can’t go to Outback and not order a Bloomin’ Onion...it’s kind of a law in Northeast Ohio...so I ordered and quickly ate one.  I had a large burger for dinner, but substituted broccoli for the fries it came with.  I did that much, at least.

Bike Duration: 2 hours.  Hike duration: 45 minutes.
Training Heart Rate: 120 bpm.
Calories burned during workout: 1700 cycling and 75 walking.

No comments:

Post a Comment