Friday, July 6, 2012

Who should take the blame if you're fat?


Wednesday, July 4, 2012

I like Philip Morris’s columns in the Metro section of the Plain Dealer.  His most recent, ‘Why are we fat?’ required some observations.  He starts by reiterating the sad, sorry condition of the American public quoting numbers that say 78 million of our fellows are obese and that this obesity is the driving force behind the ever increasing cost of health care.  Though I don’t know the source of his numbers, I trust them.  He states that the side effects of this obesity - diabetes, heart attacks and strokes (he didn’t mention high blood pressure, but let’s put that in there) leads to $147 billion in medical expenses and lost productivity. 

The article also makes mention of a new ‘miracle drug’ called Belviq.  Belviq acts as an appetite suppressant by activating brain receptors for serotonin, a neurotrasnmitter that triggers our brain into thinking we’re full and should stop eating.  It has side effects that include muscle spasms, diarrhea, tremors, and disturbances in memory.

Morris had invited readers to write to him on their thoughts regarding the obesity issue and posted some of those comments.  I found two particularly interesting.

“It is very frustrating to watch the amazing popularity and growth of urban farming and local farmers markets only to see fast food restaurants offer bacon sundaes to lure people back into something completely unhealthy and unnecessary,” wrote a 42-year-old woman from Sagamore Hills.

“It has always been my opinion that you can trace almost every problem in the United States to a lack of responsibility and moderation. I’m health conscience, not obsessed. It’s a very simple concept,” came from another writer.

I felt these two belonged together.  The first doesn’t surprise me because I see similar comments in print all the time.  But come on people...fast food restaurants that serve food like this only exist in a free market because people with free will choose to visit them and buy what they’re offering.  Stop buying it and they’ll stop selling it.  I mean, who doesn’t know that bacon sundaes are an unhealthy choice?  Don’t order it if you’re there, and don’t go there if you can’t help but order it when you do go there.

I like the second comment because it is the crux of the problem...responsibility.  When you stop looking for someone to blame for your weight-related issues, you stand a chance of doing something about them.  There is no pill.  There are no miracle methods.  Don’t waste another minute looking for one or thinking it will be discovered.  Quit whining and take a look in the mirror.  Your only chance is staring back at you.

I hit the road at 8:30 in the morning and it was already steamy and in the eighties.  It didn’t get any cooler over the next three hours and by the time I arrived back in my driveway after 55 tough miles of riding, I was likely five pounds lighter and anxious for a smoothie and a swim.  I spent the remainder of the day in my air conditioned house, but Jason and Savannah wanted to get in a Survival Workout in the early evening, so I went to the park to put them through the paces.  During the session, my right elbow began to hurt more than usual and by the time I’d climbed the swing set for the fourth time, I knew I’d hurt it pretty badly.  I finished the workout, but knew I’d pay a price.

We returned to the pool, but the stifling heat and humidity had me rethinking fireworks.  I enjoy the nostalgia of returning to Willoughby South High and meeting up with family and friends to enjoy the show, but hate the traffic jam, mosquitoes and sitting in my own sweat.  In the end, I went with good old American air conditioning and the explosions in the neighborhood for my Fourth of July celebration.

Bike Duration: 3 hours and 10 minutes. Survival Workout: 60 minutes.
Training Heart Rate: 120 bpm riding and 100-150 for SW.
Calories burned during workout: 2650 biking and 600 for SW.

No comments:

Post a Comment