Thursday, July 5, 2012

Changing the Kayak course...

Monday, July 2, 2012

One day after cruising through a new pr on a cycling course that took me out Pekin Road, I attached it again.  I’d ridden hard the previous two days, and that would normally mean my legs would be fried and I’d have to take it easy.  I reached Rt. 306 in 46 minutes though, which was a full minute faster than I’d arrived there the day before and I felt great.  I decided to extend the ride a few miles and ended up riding for two hours and 36 miles.

I’ve been working on my plans for my ‘Tour Ohio’ triathlon.  You may recall that I plan to do this next summer and begin it with a kayak across Lake Erie, starting in Canada and finishing at Fairport Harbor, a trip of about 50 miles.  I’ve been rethinking this and come to the conclusion that instead of going across the Lake, as intriguing as that sounds, I will paddle from Port Clinton, Ohio to Fairport Harbor instead.  There are several reasons for this.  First, I’ve always wanted this to be something anyone could train for and do and though the new route will be twice as long at about 117 miles, I believe it is safer and more doable.  Though I will still have a support boat with me, by hugging the shoreline of the Lake, I will be able to navigate more easily, have many opportunities for ports of call, stay out of the shipping lanes, have a better chance of avoiding sudden storms, find places where a kayaker might camp, and feel safer overall.  Like the cycling, I’m hoping to create a trail that others can follow over a period of days, which would mean the chance to camp along the way.  No such opportunities exist in a straight shot across the Lake and I would have had to tie off on my support boat if I found it necessary to take more than a day to complete the crossing.  This was impracticable for most kayakers, so why do it? 

I met Savannah in the evening and did the Survival Workout.  My son Jason was supposed to join us, but had to work late and planned a Wednesday workout, instead.  The deerfly were particularly obnoxious...they seem to be more active the hotter it gets...and the workout was excruciatingly painful in the muggy heat.  We survived though, and felt particularly good about ourselves for working through the nasty conditions.  Having a pool in which to cool off at the conclusion and knowing I’d be making a giant smoothie helped get us to the finish line.

Bike Duration: Two Hours. Survival Workout: 60 minutes.
Training Heart Rate: 120 bpm riding and 100-150 for SW.
Calories burned during workout: 1700 biking and 600 for SW.

No comments:

Post a Comment