Monday, September 10, 2012

Doing the smart thing...

Saturday, September 8, 2012
Jason stopped over to pick up his car and leave the Jeep behind.  He was with one of his rugby teammates and asked if I was coming to see the match that afternoon.

“Kinda forgot to tell you about it and I don’t know if I’ll get in the game, but our regular photographer won’t be there and I could use some good shots for the website,” he said.

Now...I was supposed to be working around the house and going with Holly to Home Depot to pick out a new kitchen light and some paint to do Jack’s bedroom.  I had to fit a bike ride in, as well.  But being the good dad that I am, I pushed that all aside and agreed to go to the match.

I took photographs for the entire match, a tough loss to the team from Pittsburgh (Cleveland teams never seem to beat them in any sport) and was saying ‘goodbye’ to Jason when he told me they were playing a ‘B’ squad game and he’d be in it.  It was 3:30 p.m. by now and I’d done none of the things I was supposed to with Holly.  He went to warm up and after 20 more minutes without a game starting, I decided I needed to cut my losses and head home.  Holly cooks for me and does my laundry and I needed those things more than I needed to see another rugby match.  It turned out to be the right decision.

I managed to make it to Home Depot, cut the grass, and finish painting the last of the windows on the house.  I did not however, fit in a workout.  Instead, I had dinner with Holly and watched a silly Sandra Bullock movie called ‘The Proposal’.  Sometimes you sacrifice the workout and the kids for personal salvation.  I got right with the House, for once.

No comments:

Post a Comment