Monday, September 10, 2012

Summer's at an end...

Wednesday, September 5, 2012
Though I’ve never ridden a bike in a climate found in a rain forest, I believe the past two days have prepared me should I have to.  Humidity had to be near 100% as I climbed aboard my bike for the hour ride back from Dan’s place and as I began ascending the first hill out of his drive, I began checking my brakes to see if they were locked on.  I felt like I was riding through pudding as I covered the first few miles and never seemed to get comfortable during the entire ride.  Maybe it’s the result of my absence from the bike for a week, but I don’t think so.  I was as wet as I’ve ever been, even while riding through driving rain storms.

I’d started the ride around seven o’clock and discovered that it was too late in the season to be out that late.  By 7:45 p.m. it was already too dark to be riding without lights...and I was without lights.  I rode the final miles along Wilson Mills Road on the sidewalks, not willing to risk that cars could see my reflectors.  I arrived home in almost total darkness a little after eight and after a dip in the neighbor’s pool, went inside and made a refreshing smoothie.

The ride was a rude awakening that summer is running out.  I will have to start getting out riding as soon as I get home if I am to get in any more two-hour sessions.  And the cool nights are right behind.  In spring, I’m thrilled when it hits the fifties, but right now that sounds pretty cold.  The good news is that I’ll likely get some fall colors when I’m in the Adirondacks in two weeks and those cool nights feel wonderful in a sleeping bag.

Bike Duration: 60 minutes.
Training Heart Rate: 120 bpm.
Calories burned during workout: 850.

No comments:

Post a Comment