Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Long ride and trail preparations...

Thursday, August 30, 2012
I knew that it would be unlikely that I’d do a workout on Friday since we would be driving to the Adirondacks immediately following the work day, so I thought I should do as much as I could.  I decided on a longer ride to be followed by a hike and then a lot of packing.

I extended my favorite ride through Waite Hill to two hours and then met Holly in the park where we hiked for an hour.  Once home and cleaned up, I went to work immediately on getting all the camping gear together.  Normally, I preparing what I’ll need for myself and maybe food for one other person, but on this trip I had four others to think about.  I hate getting into a campsite and finding out what I forgot, so I go over my gear multiple times to make sure it’s all there...knowing full well something will get left behind.

It’s particularly hard when only one of the four camper’s lives with me, though my girls, having made multiple camping trips, get that they need to take ownership of their own apparel.  Jack was completely new to this and I needed to make sure he’d have what he needed.  I’d checked the forecast and the overnight temperatures were supposed to be in the forties.

I’d been doing some hiking in the shoes I’d bought last summer and worn on a couple of trips.  Though I liked their grip, they were rubbing just below my right ankle in a way that could prove to be a problem.  I had been in love with my previous pair, but when the toe kick had separated from the sole, I’d set them aside.  Though I’ve never used the stuff, I knew there was something called ‘Shoe Goo’ for repairing running shoes and decided a trip to the local outfitter to inquire about the stuff couldn’t hurt.  When I showed him the hiking shoes, he assured me that Shoo Goo would alleviate the gap and provide me with a functional pair of hiking shoes.  I took the stuff home and gave it a try.  It needed to cure for 24 hours, so I wouldn’t know how well they worked until I put them on and hiked to our camp site.  I’d bring the new pair as the backup, for sure.

By the end of the evening, I felt confident I had enough gear to take care of everyone.  Jack’s eating concerned me...he never stops...but we’d be close enough to restaurants and grocery stores to deal with him.  I was excited about the trip and healthy, too.  It should go well.

Bike workout: 2 hours.  Hike workout: 60 minutes.
Training Heart Rate: 120 on the bike, 80 hiking.
Calories burned: 1,700 biking and 350 hiking.

No comments:

Post a Comment