Tuesday, September 11, 2012

New PR for 'Big Red'

Monday, September 10, 2012
I’m not sure what I was expecting when I climbed on ‘Big Red’ for my bike ride, but I know it was nothing special.  It was a clear, cool night and there was little breeze or humidity.  If I was going to ride fast, this was the night.  My legs felt great as I headed through the warm-up phase over the first five minutes and I realized that I was moving pretty quickly with what seemed like very little effort.  That’s a good way to start any workout.

When I hit the seven mile mark in 21 minutes, a pace of 20 mph, I knew it could be a really good day.  I was on the Waite Hill course where I had a tough pr on both Big Red and The Rocket.  As I reached the top of the hill on Sperry Road and checked my time...56 minutes...I knew I could challenge my course record if I hammered all the way home.

That in itself is a daunting task.  I was about 40 minutes from home and I’d have to challenge myself the entire time to establish a new pr.  Frankly, that means discomfort for 40 minutes...and why would I do that to myself...again?  I honestly don’t know because it matters to no one but me.  And yet, I ratcheted up my efforts, deciding to go for it.  I was finding only one difficulty.  Because the sun was setting earlier, I found that as I headed home, due west, I was riding right into the sun.  It was low in the sky and rather blinding.  I was having difficulties seeing anything in front of me and it had me wondering how well the cars coming up behind me could see me.  Obviously, not well.  My only recourse was to ride harder and faster.

I couldn’t help but think of John’s last ride and crash as I whistled down Wilson Mills Hill at 54 mph.  The road was dry and it’s a straight shot, but it’s also quite fast for a bike.  Well...it’s also a rush and I know I won’t be stopping it anytime soon.  I climbed through the Metropark, checking my watch.  I could see my record on The Rocket was out of reach, but I had a good shot at my pr on Big Red.  I rode the final miles hard and reached my driveway a minute under my previous best, but still 4 minutes slower than the best time I’d ever recorded while riding The Rocket.

My legs felt strong and with no cramping.  I was pleased with a fast time since I hadn’t been expecting it.  My riding miles are way down, as well, so it was doubly pleasing to know that my conditioning is still at a high point with the Adirondacks less than two weeks away.  All I have to do is maintain and stay healthy...and pray for some good climbing weather.

Bike Duration: One hour and 41 minutes.
Training Heart Rate: 125 bpm.
Calories burned during workout: 1500.

No comments:

Post a Comment