Monday, September 10, 2012

Going crazy with Cleveland sports teams...

Sunday, September 9, 2012
Be a fan of professional sports teams in Cleveland can be frustrating, to say the least.  The last time one of the big three (Browns, Indians, Cavs) won a championship was 1964 when the Browns were football’s best team.  Since that time, the three teams have had a combined 130 chances to win a championship.  Our record for that time stand at 0-130.  On this day, the ‘new look’ Browns got started...and lost...17-16 to the Philadelphia Eagles.  They played well defensively, but really didn’t look like they had it together on offense.  Up in Minnesota, the Indians were putting the finishing touches on another pathetic effort, losing to the last place Twins, 8-7, but threatening to replace the Twins in the cellar within a short time.

I can’t say that I expected much more.  I’m a Clevelander now...we expect to lose.  Sure...the Indians came close in ’95 and ’97, losing with style in the World Series.  Their current management doesn’t seem to have a clue.  Two Cy Young award winning pitchers were traded away in recent history and it would appear that little came of those deals.  They could use the help of my nephew, Jonathon, who just installed a rudder on my kayak.  Sure helps with direction.  The Browns have never made it to the Super Bowl since that game was introduced in 1965, but we’ve had some interesting losses in the AFC championship to make sure we didn’t make it.  The Cavs were swept in 4 games during the LeBron era when they made it to the finals against San Antonio and I suspect it may be a few years before they have a shot at a championship again.  I’ll keep rooting, particularly for the Indians, but when watching the baseball documentary with Don the other night and asking him if he thought I’d see a World Series victory from the Indians if I lived as long as my 106-year old grandmother, he said, “Not even if you were a baby.” 

I pushed through a tough Survival Workout, but the elbow pain continues to escalate.  Cortisone masked the pain, but nothing has cured so I’ll be returning to the doctor’s after the Adirondacks looking for some answers. 

Survival Workout: 60 minutes.
Training Heart Rate: 100-150.
Calories burned:  600.

No comments:

Post a Comment