Friday, April 1, 2011

Higher rates...

Thursday, March 31, 2011

The last time we needed a new washing machine, we went with one of those front-loading jobs that uses less water. I remember discussing the purchase with Holly and how we both thought that even if we had to pay more for the machine, there was some sense in using something a little more green. Water, after all, is a precious commodity and using less of it is a good thing…right?

Well…it appears the Cleveland Water Department wants a rate hike. Seems that we’re not the only ones getting smarter and more economical about our water use. In fact since 1980, the average household served by the Water Company has reduced its annual water consumption from 98,000 gallons to about 57,000 gallons per year. There are a number of factors leading to this dramatic decrease – more efficient toilets, dishwashers, showerheads and washing machines, smaller families, and just plain old conservation efforts and all that’s good…except for the Water Company. By folks being green, investing in better and more cost efficient appliances and whatever else they’ve done to reduce their bills…well…they’ve hurt revenues for the Water Company and so…raise the rates. Something is screwed up here and I’m not sure exactly what. I do know when I worked in the manufacturing business that any decrease in sales would have to be met with a decrease in spending and probably layoffs. Maybe it’s not the same with a Utility company, but encouraging people to conserve and then whacking them with higher bills to offset the efforts of their conversation seems backasswards...

I spent another night sitting around. After a day of hacking and coughing, I found myself bone-tired and ready for bed before 6 p.m. Instead, I tried to keep myself up so that I would be able to sleep through the night. Holly opted for Savannah’s room again and I kept myself awake coughing. I’m feeling better though and see a run in my near future.

No comments:

Post a Comment