Thursday, April 21, 2011

"VP Biden in town to promote Rolf, Slyman's"

Wednesday, April 20, 2011

I noticed the article in the PD below Joe Biden’s picture, but don’t normally read the blather coming out of politician’s mouths. It never seems to line up with what’s actually happening…so why bother…but then I saw a byline that said he’d made a stopover at Slyman’s Restaurant…I read. Turns out he was in town to help Democratic Senator Sherrod Brown raise money. They were eating a $5,000 lunch at the Terrace Club in Progressive Field…except they weren’t. Joe had stopped first at Slyman’s to have a corned beef sandwich, which probably cost him around ten bucks…and likely tasted better than anything he’s ever had for lunch before. He did all the talking I would have wanted to hear right there, being quoted as saying, “this place is every bit as good as John Rolf says it is.” The reporters, asking a redundant question, wondered how he knew that I’d reported on the quality…and quantity…of food at Slyman’s. “Seriously? All of Washington is reading his fitness blog. This country is in the throes of an obesity epidemic and he’s offering some of the most viable solutions to the issues facing overweight Americans in every corner of this great land of ours. There’s serious talk about creating a new agency called ‘Stop the bullshit…Get in Shape” with him as the ‘Bullshit Czar’. Read up…people…he’s got something to say that’s important to us all.”

Wow…I mean…WOW! I knew my stuff was good, but I’m slightly lightheaded with the praise. To be ‘Bullshit Czar’ would be such an honor. Well…I’ll keep you posted on how the appointment process goes. I suppose as long as I don’t need to be approved by the guys from Cuyahoga County…but they’re in jail so no big deal…

I did take another day off. Jack had a track meet…which I attended…in Cuyahoga Falls. It was cold and the wind was at hurricane levels. I sat and read ‘The Paleo Diet’ while watching races and trying to stay out of the wind…with little luck. Reza and I had taken Jack through a particularly grueling workout last Saturday, six-200’s in 30 seconds with a 200 jog for recovery, to begin the process of building his strength for the entire 800 meters of the race he runs. He’d petered out in the first race after about 450 meters and dropped like a stone. In today’s race, he hit the 600 meter mark and actually made a move to close within 10 meters of the leaders before starting to lose it with 100 meters to go. He faded to fourth, but ran 4 seconds faster and now believes I have the formula to make him really good. He’s got the formula…do the hard, fast training when you’re supposed to and don’t hold anything back. Then believe in yourself and your program and let it all hang out when you race. We’ll see…

No comments:

Post a Comment