Tuesday, April 26, 2011

It's tough to work out on a holiday...

Sunday, April 24, 2011

It was Easter Sunday and I knew there would be little opportunity to fit in a workout. Church first, of course, though I woke up early and considered heading to the Metropark for a ‘Hike 56’. Jason was coming over to pick up Jack…they were playing football in the mud…and I elected to stay home so they could hunt for Easter baskets. Yes…amazingly…the Easter Bunny has yet to discover that Jason is 26 and probably should no longer be getting a basket…but I’m not telling. Anyway, he called to say he was running late and would have to leave as quickly as Jack could get into the car…which meant no basket or picture opportunity…and I’d missed a window to work out.

I stayed reasonably attentive throughout the service, checking my resting heart rate only twice. It’s hard to look out the window into the Metropark and watch runners, cyclists and hikers going by…and maintain contact with the rituals of the service. At least I tried…

Holly was preparing chicken and dumplings…which is to say she was preparing wonderfully fat and heavy calories. She also made peanut clusters, egg custard, banana cream and peanut butter chocolate crème pies. Of course there was a corn soufflé, and a jello salad made with whipped cream. I pulled open the ‘Paleo Diet’ book, checked the table of contents AND the index, but could find none of these foods listed anywhere. I was screwed.

Knowing the menu and my will power…I had a lunch of salmon, broccoli, grapes and sunflower seeds. I thought maybe I could fill myself up somewhat and not overate the dinner. It did keep me from going through baskets or eating any of the peanut clusters…a major breakthrough…but the custard still loomed…

So…I’m human. I had a serving of dumplings, corn soufflé, and the jello…and it was all good…and I DID feel guilty. That’s the weird part. Normally I’d just tell myself its only for today and move on. But I actually felt guilt. I did manage to get over it in time for dessert. The pies looked wonderful, but I went with the custard…which at least has some good stuff in it, though I can’t remember what at the moment.

Everyone was gone by 7 p.m. and I was thinking I might get in a ride when Holly, exhausted from two days of cooking and trying to make the perfect holiday for the entire family…sat down and asked if I’d just like to visit and have something hot to drink. I can read the lay of the land with the best of them. Workouts can wait…I figured quality time with Holly made more sense.

No comments:

Post a Comment