Thursday, April 7, 2011

"Someone left there car running in the parking lot..."

Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Normally a night in bed begins the healing process for me…normally. I woke up with my knee hurting as much if not more than it had the night before. I hobbled off to work looking like an old cripple and things got worse as the day went on. I had to go out to Bob’s Lat-In-Shape class to do some filming and to talk to a couple of clients, but stopped at the house and climbed on the trainer to see if I could at least rotate the knee and thus ride the bike. I made a couple of revolutions with a lot of pain and figured I was out of commission for anything more vigorous than pulling the lever on my recliner to elevate my feet.

Bob and I were creating a DVD with information and a demonstration of the ingredients to the Fitness Test. I made him do the step test, sit-ups, and push-ups while I looked professional and knowledgeable as the Exercise Physiologist…something I do well. After viewing the tape, I realized I’d have some major editing to do if I was to make it look like I was actually healthy enough to be giving advice about being healthy. By the way, we made an informative video of Bob’s Lat-In-Shape and I’ll be posting it up on ‘YouTube’ in the near future…for those interested in alternative work out opportunities.

As I was getting ready to leave so that I could go home and wrap my knee in ice, my friend Val walked in. She had a friend along who was interested in doing the fitness test I’d given Val two weeks earlier. “By the way…how are you doing with the program I wrote up?” I asked her. “I’m a loser,” she replied. “Excellent…how much have you lost?” I asked. “No…umm…I’m a…um…loser because I haven’t been doing anything,” she said…feeling my withering stare. She seemed a bit frazzled…her work will do that…so I cut her some slack and let her head into the class.

I walked out to my car and saw Val’s parked next to it and happened to notice the wipers were moving. It was raining…but somehow I was thinking she hadn’t meant to leave them on so I went to the car to check the door only to discover a little more than the wipers were on. Whenever I leave the car running, wipers on and my laptop on the front seat of the car, I make sure to leave the door unlocked. I mean if someone’s walking by and notices all that and the doors locked, they’re likely to break a window to get in and steal everything…and that’s what Val had done. I locked the door and took the keys to Val, but not before announcing to the entire group what I’d just done. “It’s been a hard day, John…give me a break,” she said. By that I think she meant that I shouldn’t include the incident in my blog…but she never said it.

I spent the rest of the evening lounging and icing my knee. It’s a mess for now and I can only hope whatever it is that it fixes itself as quickly as it came on and I’ll be able to get some riding and running in soon for the Birthday Triathlon.

No comments:

Post a Comment