Monday, May 9, 2011

First run in a month...

Friday, May 6, 2011

I had squeezed the bike into the back seat of the Honda before leaving for work. I was hoping to get in a ride before coming home since I would be on a tight schedule. I had agreed to work the Mayfield Track Invitational where Kim and I would be serving as Bullpen Officials for the second year in a row. It would be our job to check in all the runners in each race before sending them to the starting line with their lane assignments.

I arrived at the Metropark under threatening skies. I pulled the bike from the car, conducted all the necessary preparations and was about to ride off when the first raindrops began to fall. My annoyance abated when I considered that it could have started 30 minutes into the ride…about he half way point…but then again it could have started just before I wrestled it from the back seat.

I’d been thinking about running and decided this was the time. After getting the bike back into the car, I put on my running shoes and headed off down the bridle path at a tentative pace. My knee has continued to hurt whenever I go into a catcher’s squat…basically the way it began over a month ago, but that was about it. I ran easily for 20 minutes, figuring that would be enough of a test and returned to the car in what had become a hard, steady, but warm rain.

Kim and I officiated through the preliminaries, but when it was time for Jack’s race, the 4x800, we could hear thunder rumbling in the distance. The first flashes of lightning could be seen after the gun had started the race; they were in the distance as well, but moving our way. The runners checking in for the next race were nervously asking if the officials would stop the meet…I said I wasn’t too worried because I’d stand under the concession roof while they were running so at least I wouldn’t get struck…which gave them little comfort.

We did take a 1-hour intermission to let the storm pass, but when we returned, Marie had one of her best days as a runner. She ran the fastest mile of the day, clocking 5:08 and then anchored her 4x400 team with a 58.8 for a quarter mile. There are few, if any, milers in the state that can run as fast over 400 meters…a huge advantage in any tactical race where the result comes down to who can finish the best. If it does…she’ll win.

We were at the meet until 10 p.m. and I was on my feet the entire evening. My knee felt fine…a very encouraging development, though I think I’ll give it at least a couple of days before testing it again.

Run duration: 20 minutes.
Training Heart Rate: 140 bpm.
Calories burned during workout: 350.

No comments:

Post a Comment