Saturday, May 7, 2011

Swimming with the fishes...

Wednesday, May 4, 2011

It’s been a week since I began my fish oil supplementation…and time I said something about ‘why’. First…I have NEVER taken any supplements (though I have a big head, I assure you I have not taken whatever it is Barry Bonds claims he has not taken), including vitamins. I’ve always felt that I could get what I needed from my diet and I don’t like popping any kind of pills. Sensible? Maybe not…but it’s just the way I do things. During my last meeting with Bob, my nutritionist, I queried him about what he takes. “Two things…fish oil tablets and Vitamin D,” he said and, as he always does, went into the research and science for his opinion. I truly value what he tells me because I know how thoroughly he researches what he does and more importantly, because of the way he has walked the talk his entire life. Still, though I was willing to begin taking them on his word, I needed to do my own reading as to the ‘why’.

I know a lot of my writing sounds light-hearted…which is intentional of course…but I do take my dedication to fitness pretty seriously and since earning my Master’s degree all those years ago, have prided myself on trying to utilize reliable sources when researching any topic. I started my fish oil search with the National Institute of Health and the American Heart Association only because I was looking for recommendations they were making to the general public. I find both to be reactive and conservative, but thorough. If they were on board, there must be something to it. They were. From there, I went to the Dean of exercise research, the American College of Sports Medicine and after reading articles published by them, visited a website they recommended, WholeHealthMD.com, which was founded to provide consumers with professional, up-to-date guidance on the many options and benefits of integrating Complementary and Alternative Medicine (CAM) with conventional health care treatments. I know I’m still in the infant stages of understanding fish oil and all it can do for me, but feel I at least have enough information to put something in writing.

First of all…what is it? Fish oils are simply a source of polyunsaturated fats called omega-3-fatty acids, which are essential fatty acids that the human body does not synthesize but are critical for normal metabolism. The health benefits to large amounts of omega-3’s in the diet became widely known in the medical community when researchers, studying the Greenland Inuit Tribe who consumed large amounts of fat from seafood, realized they had virtually no cardiovascular disease. This contradicted what the medical community believed at that time…that a diet high in fat was directly connected to coronary artery disease. In the Greenland Inuit’s though, it appeared that their consumption of cold-water fish, rich in omega-3 fatty acids, worked to reduce their levels of triglycerides, blood pressure and atherosclerosis. While all fish contain these fats, cold-water fish--salmon, sea bass, tuna, trout, and mackerel--are particularly rich sources because of their diet: plankton packed with omega-3s. Apparently, the colder the water, the higher the potency of the plankton.

Of course to me it was all about the health benefits which are, frankly, almost too numerous to mention. For most Americans, the attraction should be omega-3’s undisputed benefits in the battle with heart disease and high blood pressure…the top killers in our country. Since so much of the research of the myriad of benefits did not begin until the 1990’s, there is still much to learn and confirm absolutely, but there's evidence that these fatty acids can reduce the risk for colon, breast, prostate, and other cancers. For diabetics, fish oils may help by preventing nerve damage and possibly raising HDL ("good") cholesterol. On a basic, cellular level they may also improve the body's metabolic use of its own insulin while preventing coronary heart disease. It is also believed to minimize the symptoms of Crohn's disease and delay the onset of Reynaud’s disease symptoms. It has been shown to improve air flow for asthmatics and slow mental decline in dementia and Alzheimer’s disease. The fatty acids found in fish oil facilitate the speedy growth and development of the ever changing child’s brain. Nearly 15% of brain development takes place during infancy. Ensuring that nursing mothers and infants receive appropriate amounts of omega-3s is vital to child development. Preliminary data shows that omega-3 supplementation may also benefit children who chronically wet the bed by inhibiting prostaglandin and renal nitric oxide production. There is also evidence that it can ease menstrual cramps and the pain and heavy bleeding of endometriosis. Omega-3s may even aid mental disorders such as attention hyper deficit disorder (ADHD), dyslexia, autism, and schizophrenia. Preliminary findings in people with manic depression (bipolar disorder) link fish oil supplementation to fewer mood swings and irritability.

The skeptic in me has also been looking at the drawbacks, which are present but would appear to be acceptable. Belching, flatulence (those are just nicer words for burping and passing gas…I do these all the time anyway), nausea, diarrhea, and bloating may occur…and could be associated with a poor brand of fish oil tablets. I knew this was a possibility, but Bob assured me he would get me the best stuff and so I’m using LifeExtension – super omega-3 There is also a fear that high doses could interfere with the ability of the body to form blood clots and that if you’re going for surgery, you’d want to make sure to let the doctor know the dosage you were taking. Diabetics should check with their doctor before using because it may interfere with blood sugar levels. I’ve also seen it mentioned that you could emit a ‘fishy’ smell. If you’ve been reading this blog for any period of time, I’m sure you’d agree that for me, a ‘fishy’ smell would be perfectly appropriate.

No comments:

Post a Comment