Saturday, May 21, 2011

Urban Active gets busted...

Thursday, May 19, 2011

Day two after cortisone injection…and all is still well in my world. Well…not completely since I’m still not supposed to exercise. Now…he did tell me I could work out the upper body, so I headed for the Metropark and hiked in to the cabins where I lifted some stuff, threw other stuff, got dirty and pounded my upper body. It was the best upper body workout I’ve done in a bunch of years…like the old weight lifting days when I’d spend a couple of hours in the weight room.

I probably shouldn’t have, but I returned home and cut the back lawn (front lawn was converted to a habitat for water fowl – no sense in trying to have a lawn out there). The doc never said I couldn’t…which to me means I can. It took an hour with the hand mower and I sweat profusely, so between the two things, I actually feel like I got in a regular workout.

As a former club manager, I subscribe to ‘Club Industry’ to keep an eye on the latest happenings in the fitness world. I’ve been following the plight of the Ohio chain, Urban Active. Most of these chains give me the willies’ with the way they sell because their existence depends on a constant stream of new customers…who they hate to let go. Apparently, a number of former members…102 to be exact…have filed complaints with the Better Business Bureau regarding the company’s habit of failing to stop charging their accounts after they had cancelled their contracts. The BBB looked into the matter and when Urban Active was inactive in responding, the BBB gave them an “F” rating.

Somewhere along the line, Urban tried to get right with God…or at least the BBB…and sat down with them to try and smooth things over. “We appreciate the BBB sitting down with us to point out the areas of concern, and that has allowed us to better service our customers,” Urban Active said in a statement to Club Industry. Additionally, it was reported that Urban Active has taken further action to clear up the mess…they hired additional staff to handle BBB complaints. Really…they’ve hired extra people to handle complaints?? Well here’s a bit of advice from a former club manager…do what you say you’re going to do when you say you’re going to do it and you’ll have happy customers and you won’t get BBB complaints. I’m just sayin’…

Survival Workout duration: 60 minutes.
Training Heart Rate: 100 to 150 bpm.
Calories burned during workout: 600

No comments:

Post a Comment