Tuesday, May 3, 2011

A 'most excellent' workout...

Sunday, May 1, 2011

The last two days had been embarrassing disasters…as workouts go. I hate missing time for injuries and Saturday would have been a great day for a long ride. Well…I decided to make up for lost time by doing a double. I started the morning by dropping Jack at church, playing hooky myself, and going into the Metropark for a survival workout. I always begin with push-ups next to the car. Three weeks ago, when I first started doing the workout again, I struggled to get to 25 good push-ups…which was completely unacceptable. I dropped into the mud and knocked out 38 to begin this session.

I grabbed my pack from the trunk, loaded with my TRX bands and a 25-pound bag of salt, threw it onto my back and did 50 step-ups on the 15” rock next to the car. I was feeling good as I headed down the bridle path to my first stop – a big rock I lift overhead about 15 times. I continued to a second step-up stop and did another 40. Next was my favorite log, which I bend over and pull up to my chest for the back muscles. I then grab one end, the other rests on the ground, and push it overhead, lifting and lowering to my shoulders about 12 times before dropping it back into the mud.

I arrived at the cabins after doing another 20 step-ups, where I hook the bands to a tree and do the rest of my workout. Today, it included lifting a heavy rock and walking while pressing it overhead, biceps curls with a hunk of concrete, back, shoulder, and arm work with the bands, and crunches and bicycles for the abs lying in the wet turf.

I was able to do some high knee skips and jump ups on the picnic table…something I’ve avoided since the knee began to hurt and it went well. I started back for the car, stopping to do more lifting and step-ups along the way and getting the entire workout done in about 60 minutes. My upper body muscles have not been so exhausted from a workout in years and my thighs were screaming from 240 step-ups…and it felt great. Now…if I could just do enough work around the house to earn the right to ride the bike…

I built a shelf I will be mounting under Holly’s desk to serve as a keypad holder. It will glide in and out and she was thrilled with it. “Mind if I go for a little ride before dinner?” My timing was impeccable and she shooed me out.

I started the ride with endorphins flying throughout my body…at least I think they were because I felt so good and rode so strongly. I rode my Waite Hill course, something I’ve had to alter due to bridge construction on Dodd road, which has caused me to change my time check spots, as well. I climbed up Hobart to Chardon Road and hit that point about 5 minutes faster than I’d done it the only other time I’d rode this course. I pushed hard for the rest of the ride home and ended up 8 minutes faster than my previous time…and feeling strong for the entire ride.

I’ve changed the diet and I’m losing weight and training better. I’m also started taking a large dose of fish oil, primarily for its anti-inflammatory capabilities which I’ll get into later. For now…great workout day…one of the best in six months.

Survival Workout duration: 60 minutes. Bike duration: 87 minutes.
Training Heart Rate: 100 to 150 bpm for workout and 130 bpm for bike ride.
Calories burned during workout: 600 for workout and 1250 for bike ride.

No comments:

Post a Comment