Sunday, May 15, 2011

Time for a couple of push-ups...

Saturday, May 14, 2011

I knew early on that there would be little chance for a ride. The long term forecast...which has nothing to do with science or meteorology…I mean who couldn’t be a weather forecaster – “well Robin…looks like it’ll be raining until your 3-year old gets his college diploma. And now…let’s talk about sports…The Indians were rained out again today and will be playing the make-up games some time next January”.

I went over to Mimi’s and did some yard work. She’d been leaving little piles of crap all over the property and by the time I’d scooped them up, put them in a wheelbarrow and run them to the dumping pile in the woods at the back of her property, I was breaking a decent sweat. I was hoping for a couple of hours of this and then home to cut the grass, but the monsoons returned shortly after I left her place and the lawn thing was out of the question. I was running out of time because we had to be at a surprise birthday party at the Winking Lizard, which meant we couldn’t be late. There was no way I was going to run and I could have climbed on the trainer…but I couldn’t make myself ride inside. Instead, I did my push-ups and abdominal work and got ready for the party.

The Winking Lizard was not serving Paleo…we had pizza and wings…so I broke down and had some pizza. I think they forgot to bring the vegetable platter, because it appeared about half way through the party. I went back and loaded up on carrots, tomatoes, broccoli and cauliflower, but it was too late.

I guess the slip was a small one. I’d put my jeans on to go to the party and found that I’d had to put the belt in the last notch because they were so baggy. I’m actually seeing a little more tone in the upper body and I’m lifting and doing more during the workouts. The knee is still bothering me and I know its time to go see the doc…it’s clear that it won’t heal itself.

1 comment:

  1. Am really jealous of your Paleo program. Know that with your workout intensity, you can't fail to get that studly body you are shooting for. It was an uphill battle when you were indulging in daily icecream treats and deserts. But now, you can practically coast and attain perfection.

    The only problem is that at some point you will need to learn a modern diet balance so that you can eat and enjoy non-Paleo-like foods with your family. You can't skip peach cobbler forever. And living life to the fullest means living it, not abstaining, right?

    I'm with you that agriculture gave us the insulin raising pastas a couple thousand years ago. But more dangerous, I think, is the massive sugars introduced in just the last couple hundred years. The proliferation of cane sugar.Now exacerbated with fructose, sugar substitutes, and other chemicals, we have got trouble.

    I think you know to mix in your carbs after or with your proteins to slow the sugar spike of carbs with slower digestion. Also, cinnamon is my friend. I add it to deserts when possible to slow the spike. If you have any other suggestions, please share.

    Finally, congrats on finding the right path to your healthy living. Never quit as I am right behind you and will catch up if you let down.

    All the best,

    Postman

    ReplyDelete