Thursday, May 5, 2011

Hitting the right stride with nutrition and fitness...

Tuesday, May 03, 2011

I was hoping to get in another ride, but with rain falling all day…again…that was out. I’m going for an every-other day routine of doing the survival workout, which meant it was scheduled for today anyway, but I wanted to double it up by riding my bike to the Metropark. Oh well…

I was looking forward to sloshing through the mud though, and I wasn’t the least bit disappointed. No one was there, which suits me fine. I still have this idea that the North Chagrin is my personal park and that I’m just sharing it with the folks that show up every day. I knocked off 41 push-ups in the mud as soon as I exited the car, then strapped on the 30-pound pack, did some step-ups on the boulder at the edge of the bridle path and headed into the woods. I sloshed down the path making my usual stops to lift rocks and logs and do more step-ups. When I reached the cabins, I opted for doing my abdominal work on dry ground under the cabin over hang…because I’m such a sissy marry (do they still say that?). I keep upping the totals of the different exercises I perform for the workout as my strength and conditioning continues to improve. It really is amazing how quickly you can recapture previous levels of fitness when you stick to a program with consistency. And the more I do, the more I want to do…which I have to be careful about since it’s what often leads to my overuse injuries.

I retuned to the car in a light drizzle feeling exhausted but pumped. My arms that had dead-weight feeling that if I’d had hair, I wouldn’t have been able to comb it (got THAT going for me). I went home to a snack of raw almonds and a dinner of chicken and vegetable soup. I’m working diligently at sticking close to the Paleo diet to see the long-term benefits, though I have made some modifications with the help of Bob, my Nutritionist. I’m eating a whole grain, non-sweetened cereal with 2% milk and some fresh fruit for breakfast 2-3 times per week (the milk and fruit keep the insulin spike in the manageable range), but having scrambled eggs with mushrooms on the other mornings. My goal in the morning is to eat enough that I feel satisfied for most of the rest of the day, having regular fruit snacks to get me through. Holly says I look and feel skinnier. I know I’m feeling better and working out harder…and to make life almost perfect, Bin Laden is gone and the Indians still have the best record in Major League baseball. Go Tribe.

Survival Workout duration: 60 minutes.
Training Heart Rate: 100 to 150 bpm.
Calories burned during workout: 600

No comments:

Post a Comment