Wednesday, January 25, 2012

The Babysitter

Tuesday, January 24, 2012
I’m kind of the point person for scheduling any of my children’s babysitting responsibilities with my next door neighbor.  She has my cell phone and likes to text…so I get the messages and am asked to pass them along.  I really don’t mind and had Jack set for going over later that night to deal with their 6-year old daughter and 9-month old son.  Then Jack got sick.

They couldn’t find anyone on short notice and she sent a text pleading with me to help her out.  Like Chris Perez coming from the Indians’ bullpen, I told her I would, and notched a ‘save’.  I was a little concerned though, because it’s been about thirteen years since I’ve done anything beyond smelling a dirty diaper…and I was going to be on my own for four hours.  I told her I could make it by six.

I had to get in a run, at least.  I went to the park knowing it would be short…and therefore fast…if I was going to feel like I’d done something.  The trails were clear again, though some ice remained where there had been the heaviest foot traffic.  Other than these small patches, I was able to run fast and hard and returned to the car in a little less than 30 minutes with what I thought was a good workout.  I did look overhead as I drove to and from…but saw no signs of my eagles.

I hurried home, showered, and ran next door in time to hear how to make the formula, where the diaper bag was, and that Sammie was into everything so I’d have to watch him constantly.  Now…I’d raised…well…I’d been around…my four children as they’d gone through this stage where everything goes into their mouths and I always thought watching them was way over-rated.  “Wait until they try to swallow it…then I’ll do a Heimlich on them,” had been my motto.  I should have mentioned this…that would have gotten me out of babysitting.  Anyway…I watched.  I also had to play non-stop with the 6-year old…she thinks I’m like this giant Sponge Bob that was placed in her house for her enjoyment…which really added to the workout and challenged my limited ability to watch an infant.  Mom returned at 8:30 p.m. to a baby without a messy diaper that hadn’t found anything to swallow…and an exhausted neighbor.  My first taste of being a grandparent convinced me that there needs to be two at all times.  And I’m giving her Jack’s cell phone number for future engagements.

Run Duration:  28 minutes.
Training Heart Rate: 150 bpm.
Calories burned during workout: 475.

No comments:

Post a Comment