Friday, January 13, 2012

New running shoes!

Wednesday, January 11, 2012
Where does my will power go each winter?  Maybe it’s just that I’m trapped inside too long and the days are too short.  Yeah…probably the dark that makes me want to eat the wrong stuff.  That… or Holly’s peanut clusters are impossible not to eat.  In any event…I ate the last six so I’d stop having to wonder when I’d stop eating them.

I’m also struggling to get myself to do the longer workouts I need to keep the weight in check.  Partially due to sore feet and the rest…well…commitment issues.  I’ve always found winter training the toughest.  Anything I’m preparing to do has always been a summer/fall activity and left me with the feeling that I can always make up the time that I’m missing.  Pretty normal.  Anyway, after spending the day walking around on tender feet, I stopped to purchase new running shoes on the way home.  I’m a big fan of Asics and have been running in them for the last 20 years or so.  I bought a pair in the middle of the price range, looking for something with a decent amount of heel cushion.  Before shopping, I’d decided to ride the trainer since it was raining and cold, but once I had the shoes, I knew I’d be running.

It was dark by the time I arrived at the park, but the bridle trails are easy to navigate even when you can’t see.  I figured a 30 minute run to see how they felt and determine if they would make any difference to my already sore feet.  I put them on and took a few steps…pain diminished.  Good sign.

I felt the heel with each step, but it really wasn’t that bad.  The true measure of the shoe would be how my foot felt later that night and the next day…so I’d just have to wait and see.  It was extremely sloppy…a good thing since I hate wearing shiny, new shoes…and that’s the last thing they were at the conclusion of the run. 

I climbed back into the car pleased with the way they felt.  I could have easily gone much longer, but my feet need some time to figure out what I’ve done to them since it’s been about 5 years since I’ve run in new shoes.  I take them on another, longer trial over the weekend provided we get less than the predicted blizzard.

Run Duration:  30 minutes.
Training Heart Rate: 140 bpm.
Calories burned during workout: 520.

No comments:

Post a Comment