Sunday, January 1, 2012

Back to the Survival Workout...

Thursday, December 29, 2011
John Williamson spent most of his 41 years extremely overweight.  He endured all of the hardships associated with obesity, not least of which was the persecution from his peers in his formative years.  I suffered through some of that myself and as with all bullying and bullies, I can only wonder what makes them the way they are.  I digress…back to John.  Nine years ago he decided to make a change.  By 2002, he’d reached the unmanageable weight of 407 pounds and when a co-worker had a successful gastric bypass, he decided to take the plunge.  A little over a year ago, he decided to take up running and has since competed in seven 5K events…but that’s chump change compared to running a half marathon as he is planning to do in May.  He’s gotten his weight down to 240 pounds, but after completing the fitness evaluation and getting my training program for the next five months, knows there is a lot to do, though I know he’s up to the challenge.  He wrote that he wants to accomplish this goal for better health, make people that matter to him proud, to prove to naysayers that he CAN do it, but most importantly to making it happen…he wants to do it for himself.  He’s set the goal…he has the plan…he’ll achieve.

I returned to the park for my first Survival Workout since the dizzy spells on Christmas Eve.  I was feeling worthless and weak…and guilty, too…when I dropped to the ground for that first set of push-ups.  I was laboring by 50, but pushed hard and made it to 80 before falling on my nose.  I knew then that I would not be making it to 100 by the end of the year…I only have one more chance…but I won’t let that discourage me.  If I just stay consistent and healthy, I’ll achieve that milestone sometime in the new year…and when it happens…it happens.  The workout out was a success in that I did a full routine and was only about ten percent off what I would have done normally.  I felt tired for sure…but not dizzy or sick…and that’s a very good thing.

Survival Workout: 60 minutes.
Training Heart Rate: 100-150.
Calories burned:  600.

No comments:

Post a Comment