Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Forks over Knives

Monday, January 23, 2012
My daughter Heidi has become what you might classify as ‘a health nut’.  She is particularly sensitive to eating habits...going organic and now considering becoming a vegan.  She was particularly influenced by the documentary ‘Forks over Knives’ and asked me to watch it with her…which I did.

In their own words…they have a web site…Forks over Knives examines the profound claim that most, in not all, of the degenerative diseases that afflict us can be controlled, or even reversed, by rejecting animal-based and processed foods.  The documentary focuses on the research in this area of Dr. T. Colin Campbell and Dr. Caldwell Esselstyn.  Campbell is a nutritional scientist at Cornell University and Esselstyn is a surgeon at the Cleveland Clinic.  Both are highly respected and their message is thorough, well-researched, and sensible. 

Jack was watching too, and wondered if he had to stop eating meat…now.  What I didn’t feel they did particularly well was differentiate ‘meat’.  All animal-source proteins are considered equal…unless otherwise noted…and they weren’t.  I’m not a nutritionist, but having done considerable reading and worked closely with one, I do know that the fat content of your average Big Mac is slightly different than a lean piece of turkey breast.  As someone trying to follow the Paleo Diet, I feel like I’ve met…and exceeded…much of what ‘Forks over Knives’ is all about…but lean meats and their attributes are part of my diet. 

I also wondered about the glycemic index as I watched the show.  They made constant referral to type-II diabetes, but encouraged all kinds of grains, legumes, breads and pastas, which, to my understanding, can have a significant impact on the glycemic index and thus type-II diabetes.

Though the documentary was focused on food and the ability to live healthier lives through eating, I would contend that many of the illnesses they determined were impacted by food choices…diabetes, heart disease, blood pressure, and obesity…are also factors of the lack of activity or exercise in the average American’s daily routine.  No mention was made of exercise and its potential impact…maybe they didn’t have time…but it’s a huge omission.  Still, though I’m not going to become a vegan, I concur that those who do can’t go wrong.

I was beginning to drag, both physically and mentally, as I pondered the workout for the day.  I came to the realization that I’d exercised 17 straight days with eight of those being doubles (two different workouts in the same day).  I don’t like to go on streaks and normally have a day off every week to ten days, so I needed it…and I took it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment