Saturday, January 21, 2012

'Everest - Beyond the Limit' continues to fascinate...

Wednesday, January 18, 2012
Though I was able to start the workout with 88 push-ups, I felt flat and knew it was going to be an off day for lifting.  I’m already leaving out some things in hopes that my right arm will start to feel better, so to get more from the workout, I added extra high skips, sprinted off trail through the woods, worked the hills hard, and did some 50-yard sprints across a snow-covered field.  I could feel the difference in my legs as I returned to the car…I was quite tired…but I still felt like I was slacking since I haven’t been climbing the pole or doing my rows with the heavy rocks.  Both exercises accelerate the pain in my forearm…that’s my excuse and I’m sticking to it. 

I drove home thinking about riding the trainer and watching a couple more episodes of ‘Beyond the Limit – Everest’.  I’ve been enjoying the physical aspects of the program, but must admit that the instances of climbers dying are becoming more disturbing.  Its one thing to know it happens or to see it depicted by actors, but this is the real thing.  People who get in trouble in the death zone…above 26,000 feet and in the last phases of the summit…are often left to die.  Those around them would put themselves at risk in attempting to help and it seems to be the code of the mountain.  And when people do die, they are left there as frozen testaments to the enormous risks anyone is taking that challenges this landscape unfit for human…or any life.  It is a gripping drama.

I managed another 90 minutes on the trainer, watching two more episodes.  Two of the climbers will be making their push for the summit during the next episode and I’m looking forward to seeing it.  I guess that means I’ll be doing more riding tomorrow.

Survival Workout: 45 minutes.  Bike duration: 90 minutes.
Training Heart Rate: 100-150 for SW and 120 for the bike.
Calories burned:  450 for SW, 1250 for the bike.

No comments:

Post a Comment