Thursday, January 5, 2012

Snow covered trails increase the effort...and the serenity.

Wednesday, January 04, 2012
It was eerily quiet as I made my way down the snow-packed bridle trail for my evening run.  There seemed to be no one in the park and the only sounds I could hear was the crunch of my foot as I attempted to find some traction on the frozen mud and snow.  I was planning a 30-minute effort…this would be the third day of running with only a day off in between since suffering my last calf injury.  I thought I’d have to stick to the bridle trails, but decided to venture on the hiking trails which, during my last visit, were more mud than trail.  Things went well, though, since they were frozen enough to keep me from sinking to my ankles.  I had to move slowly because it was difficult to spot the roots and rocks waiting to trip me up and send me sprawling.  This…and the lousy footing…slowed me significantly, but increased significantly the effort of each step and generated a high training heart rate.  I feel like I get as much from a 30-minute run in these conditions as I would normally from an run closer to an hour.

I was approaching my turn-around point when I decided I was feeling too strong to stop.  I picked up an extra trail and added 10 more minutes to the run before returning to the car.  Once home, I quickly boarded the trainer and started a planned 30-minute ride.  I was watching ‘Homeland’…a story about Native American activists fighting in four separate communities to prevent environment disasters from being visited on their lands by their governments and energy companies.   I made it easily to 30 minutes and since the topic had me fascinated and they were filming in Arctic Village, Alaska, the furthest north settlement in the United States, I couldn’t stop.  Thank God for Netflix and good programming or I’d never get through the terribly tedious task of spinning the pedals on my bike…and going nowhere.

Run Duration:  40 minutes.  Bike Duration:  60 minutes.
Training Heart Rate: 140 running and 120 bpm.
Calories burned during workout: 675 running and 850 biking.

No comments:

Post a Comment