Monday, January 9, 2012

"How'd you make that smoothie again?"

Thursday, January 5, 2012
Was it really January?  The temperatures were hovering in the mid 40’s and the sun was shining…and it was Northeast Ohio…or was supposed to be.  I drove home thinking ‘ride outside’ and what I’d have to do and how quickly if I was to have some daylight to get it done.  Then I got inside and found Holly in bed…and quite sick.  Fortunately my brain got ahead of my mouth and I didn’t mention thoughts of heading out the door for a ride.  Instead I said, “Can I get you anything?”

She looked at me to judge the sincerity in my voice and eyes…I’m a practiced liar…and smiled.  “I’m really hungry, but everything I think about eating sounds horrible,” she said.  I’ve been sick a few times in my life, but can’t remember ever feeling like I couldn’t eat.  I’ve heard of this though and offered a suggestion.

“How about warm chocolate pudding?”  Her eyes lit up and I headed for the kitchen to see if we had any of the stuff.  I brushed off my culinary skills, opened a box of Jell-o pudding mix and dumped it into two cups of milk, stirring as I brought it to a boil.  Try as I might, if I stayed and stirred, I would be unable to screw it up…so I stayed…and I stirred.  I served it with a glass of milk and sat with her and watched another hysterical episode of ‘Modern Family’.  I even had a little pudding myself…just to be social.  I was a hero, but in the process I missed a workout.  There is a place for such people in heaven…I hope.

Jimmy and Reza had been over the house earlier in the week and I had served up one of my fantastic smoothies.  Jimmy is studying for his Ph.D.  in whining and complaining, kept commenting on the thickness or texture or something only his brain could fathom…but of course, kept drinking.  He called me last night and began asking me how I’d made it so he could duplicate it for some friends.  “I thought you didn’t like it…you were carrying on like a spoiled, bratty little girl when I made it the other night,” I said.  He just laughed and continued to take down the information.  He’ll try and make it…and mess it up because he wasn’t really listening…and then it will be my fault.  Good luck, Jimmy…try to make it right.

No comments:

Post a Comment