Wednesday, January 11, 2012

The 'good' ache...

Tuesday, January 10, 2012
In many ways, I embrace the aches that come as a result of my workout ritual.  I almost always know their origin and there is comfort in knowing that I have them only because I am fit.  I know they will go away, to be replaced by others when I do something foolish or try something new…but it is a constant reminder that I can do something new and that I ignore my age or make it the non-factor it should be…and persevere.  I’ve had some of the aches associated with aging and doing nothing…I think the ‘doing nothing’ is more the reason for the aches…and decided I’d rather have the ones from being active.  Anyway, right now…it’s my feet which I know will heal, but also a pain in my lower, right arm…just below the biceps…that has been bothering me off and on since I began doing pull-ups on a tree branch.  I cut that out at some point over the summer and switched to climbing a pole on a swing set.  It doesn’t seem to hurt quite as much…but it still aches.  I decided I’d try to give that some rest, too.

So…I approached the Survival Workout knowing I would be leaving some things out and wondering what I could add in to compensate.  I reached one of my rock lifting sites and was bending to pick one up, when I had the sensation of being watched.  It took me a few seconds to spot the deer that was only 50 feet away…motionless…and staring me down.  They are amazingly well camouflaged animals…as any regular hiker will admit…and if they don’t move and show that beautiful, cotton-like fluffy white tail, we’d never see them.  He continued to stare, challenging me to stay and looking, as Kim would say, into my soul with those haunting eyes.  “I’ve got to do this thing…so you can stay and watch…or go,” I said as I bent to grab the rock.  I did my lift and when I returned the rock to the earth and looked up, he was gone.  I love this gym in which I work out.

I was crossing the Rugby field the final yards to my car when I heard a thundering noise coming down the bridle trail I’d just left.  I peered through the woods separating the field from the trail to see a horse and rider galloping full tilt.  I know thoroughbreds travel at speeds in excess of 40mph…and this was no thoroughbred race horse, but it was really moving.  It was practically dark and I wondered at the wisdom of the rider.  I could see him going into a sharp turn without slackening his speed and with what would appear to be no regard for the many other users of these trails.  I know they’re called ‘bridle’ but let’s face it…there are about 200 hikers, runners, and other users to every horse on the trails…and this was just stupid.  His partner was a few minutes behind and moving at a more reasonable speed.  I’m glad I wasn’t on the trail as he’d passed…I’m sure I’d have had something to say that I would later regret.

Survival Workout: 60 minutes.
Training Heart Rate: 100-150.
Calories burned:  600.

No comments:

Post a Comment